Yet another "Help me ID this table" thread...

markmdz

Registered
First and foremost, I'm very grateful to have found this forum. I've spent the past 2-3 days pouring over the various threads from table restoration, to re-felting, and everything in between.

I know I just posted a thread about a possible GC I just purchased, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I also committed to purchase another table which I'll be picking up tonight.

I've had a local mechanic look over the pictures and he's as perplexed as I am. We cannot figure out what the make of the table is, but I can say it's definitely a slate top and 8.5', and a beast of a table. Everything is plywood with a formica veneer and the top (not the aprons) look very similar to a GC. The corners (top and side) are cast aluminum. The feet are adjustable and cast aluminum as well. All the trim appears to be stainless steel. The ball returns are all bent steel rods (for lack of a better way to describe them).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• fa8961a4c04ea57e57830f88139c768d.jpg
    fa8961a4c04ea57e57830f88139c768d.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 7602be83fa212525eee03c15835b4df3.jpg
    7602be83fa212525eee03c15835b4df3.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 1d874f882de32836eb0cc8001ed88e83.jpg
    1d874f882de32836eb0cc8001ed88e83.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 499

markmdz

Registered
Soft breaks only... Too much glass for a flyin' cue ball :eek:

I couldn't agree more. When I walked in the room and saw that there were glass cabinets everywhere, I cringed. (Those pics are from the seller.)

As evidenced by the oriental fan sun baked into the cloth (no, that's not dust), I don't think the table got much of any use other than acting as a table for things to be set on.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Looks more like a Murray than a Gandy to me.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Looks like Murrey to me too.
Plays pretty crappy. The rails make a nasty sound .
And those corner metal ding cues pretty good.
The Felt Room here used to have them. A friend of mine had one too.

The Gandy Big G were a little better but still nowhere near GC quality.

markmdz

Registered
I appreciate the suggestions of Murrey and Gandy, but so far, I can't find anything from either name that matches the aprons and ball return slots in the end.

One interesting thing with this (not saying good or bad, just interesting) is the lack of aluminum over the side pockets.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a Valley knock off. I used to have one. I don't know who originally made them, as they are completely unmarked.

* could be a Fisher

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You can play use that cloth for a Rocharch Ink Blot test. I see an Asian fan, a monitor lizard, a cat carrying a mouse, the Pyramid of Cheops, elephant drinking water,numerous plaques, a doll dress, and much more.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walk away from this one if you still can. What are you going to do with 2 tables? The one in your other thread is the best of the best, a Gold Crown. This one, who knows what it is. You are just making 4 times as much work for yourself, imo, buying 2 tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you feel bad about backing out of the deal, just offer the seller 100 for the trouble. You'll be way ahead in the long run.

Otherwise, you are going to have to tear down this table, get it home, then set it up? Then find a buyer for it some time in the future after you are done "practicing" cloth setup on this table? You'll probably end up giving it away for free to get it out of the house or selling it for a couple hundred.

Who needs all that aggravation, when you found a GC1 for $200?

Walk away!

markmdz

Registered
Walk away from this one if you still can. What are you going to do with 2 tables? The one in your other thread is the best of the best, a Gold Crown. This one, who knows what it is. You are just making 4 times as much work for yourself, imo, buying 2 tables.

I appreciate the advice and don't doubt that's the better of the options, but being the glutton for punishment that I am, I picked up this behemoth and brought it home tonight. Honestly, dumping a couple hours into it, meeting some cool people, and kicking the can down the road is fun to me. Again, I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything about tables, but this thing does appear to be well built and pretty stout. My plan is to play this table and let my kids learn on it, then take my time restoring the GC.

Frame: 1.5" thick laminated lumber (thick ply plywood), 3/4 plywood leg assembly w adjustable cast aluminum feet
Slate: 1" thick on a 3/4"x4" poplar backing
Rails: appears to be poplar & oak (maybe maple) with formica laminate and stainless & aluminum trim, cast aluminum corners
Apron: 3/4" plywood with formica laminate, stainless & aluminum trim, cast aluminum corners

After looking over the specs on a GC, this thing appears very similar.

Although I didn't find a single badge or nameplate on it, there were a couple markings I did find. The slate has a logo stamped on it that says Made in Italy. The counters are cast and say Made in Germany on their underside.

Here's a boat-load of pics. Some from the tear-down and some from the start of re-assembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I appreciate the advice and don't doubt that's the better of the options, but being the glutton for punishment that I am, I picked up this behemoth and brought it home tonight. Honestly, dumping a couple hours into it, meeting some cool people, and kicking the can down the road is fun to me. Again, I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything about tables, but this thing does appear to be well built and pretty stout. My plan is to play this table and let my kids learn on it, then take my time restoring the GC.

Frame: 1.5" thick laminated lumber (thick ply plywood), 3/4 plywood leg assembly w adjustable cast aluminum feet
Slate: 1" thick on a 3/4"x4" poplar backing
Rails: appears to be poplar & oak (maybe maple) with formica laminate and stainless & aluminum trim, cast aluminum corners
Apron: 3/4" plywood with formica laminate, stainless & aluminum trim, cast aluminum corners

After looking over the specs on a GC, this thing appears very similar.

Although I didn't find a single badge or nameplate on it, there were a couple markings I did find. The slate has a logo stamped on it that says Made in Italy. The counters are cast and say Made in Germany on their underside.

Here's a boat-load of pics. Some from the tear-down and some from the start of re-assembly.

The stamp is "Made in Malaysia "?

Any table is better than none at all.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The stamp is "Made in Malaysia "?

Any table is better than none at all.

Even though it's barely legible, that's a "Made in Italy' stamp, a sign of what is considered the highest quality slate.

I'm guessing the logo picture is supposed to be the Santa Maria. Christopher Columbus was from Genoa. It's obviously a table using quality parts.

Attachments

• santamaria.jpg
    santamaria.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 185

markmdz

Registered
Even though it's barely legible, that's a "Made in Italy' stamp, a sign of what is considered the highest quality slate.

I'm guessing the logo picture is supposed to be the Santa Maria. Christopher Columbus was from Genoa. It's obviously a table using quality parts.

Tate, I think you hit the nail on the head with that logo. I'm about 90% certain it says Made in Italy.