Youtube video of Jayson Shaw winning the 2010 Blackball world championship

stephen_joyce

Registered
Hi all
Below is a link to Jayson Shaw winning the 2010 blackball world championship which was shown live on TV here in Europe. The commentary is Russian. The match was shown on eurosport TV and the production is high quality.

The match is high quality and after the 5th frame Shaw clicks into gear and shows unbelievable ability.

The table size is 7 x 3.5 and is a race to 8 frames. It is one of my favorite matches and the French opponent does not know what hits him after frame 5.

I hope you enjoy the match please post your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HPtyufEeg

Regards
SJ

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are 7x4, with a 6x3 playing surface.

Won't that make them a 3x6 table then? Unless I was totally zoned out for the last 25 years of pool playing, the size is based on the INSIDE the table dimensions, not outside. A table is not measured from the outside end of the rail to the other end of the rail as many 9 footers have rails of different widths.

I remember someone from England either posting on here or maybe it was in a live stream than the blackball was mostly played on 6 foot table. I was thinking that they looked very small even for a 7 footer and was told that it's a 6.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a question on the rules....at 19:05 Ramier comes to the table after Shaw scratched. He has the ball in baulk. He breaks out 3 of his balls while making nothing, but still gets to continue shooting. Why does he still continue to shoot after not making a ball? I checked the rules on it, and can't find anything addressing this situation.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a question on the rules....at 19:05 Ramier comes to the table after Shaw scratched. He has the ball in baulk. He breaks out 3 of his balls while making nothing, but still gets to continue shooting. Why does he still continue to shoot after not making a ball? I checked the rules on it, and can't find anything addressing this situation.

6.Turn: A players "Turn" at the table comprises one visit or, after most fouls committed by the opponent, two visits.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the best UK 8 ball you can see here from Jason.

Seems they were using the rule that it's not a foul to pocket the opponent's ball. Wish they'd adopt that for all blackball games. At the lower levels, players are fixated on, and rewarded by sitting their balls over pockets.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't that make them a 3x6 table then? Unless I was totally zoned out for the last 25 years of pool playing, the size is based on the INSIDE the table dimensions, not outside. A table is not measured from the outside end of the rail to the other end of the rail as many 9 footers have rails of different widths.

I remember someone from England either posting on here or maybe it was in a live stream than the blackball was mostly played on 6 foot table. I was thinking that they looked very small even for a 7 footer and was told that it's a 6.

I recall that the playing surface on a 4.5 x 9 pool table is 50" x 100" or 4 inches smaller than the stated size.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched through frame 5. The defensive battle in that frame was really interesting to me.

Just watched the rest. Shaw really turned on the gas starting frame 6.

Last edited:

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick! Somebody call Mark Griffin, the BCA, and ESPN! Here is a billiard game which has a championship at which the stands are full of young people all of whom look as if they can make their car payments! Find out what the promoters of this sport are doing!