Operation: Bar Box Rescue

PoodlePuncher

Registered
My buddy's parents offered to give me their pool table, and i finally got a chance to go check it out.

a7fWFRvl.jpg

0t3kpwSl.jpg

Backstory:
They acquired it shortly after they bought the house in '79
Before that it was at the "Muni" (and possibly the American Legion) in Wayzata, where it hosted a whole cavalcade of bigwigs passing through town. Its even possible some of the old timers on here may have played on it.

It was well loved and taken care of, but earlier this year the pond invaded their basement, and now it's in the way of renovations.

I'm 100% sure the felt was never replaced, and it needs new bumpers, but other than that its solid.

GMCq7uBl.jpg

Extraction is currently planned for 11/9

Last edited:

PoodlePuncher

Registered
The badge in the larger photo is hard to read, so here's this...

RTrKTWCl.jpg

I was surprised to see "Victor Comptometer corp" at the bottom, but
--EDIT--
It appears they filed the patent for the "MAGNETIC POOL BALL", so it tracks.

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
*If* it's the table in the brochure, it's cool retro looking... And *if* the corners indeed had a vinyl woodgrain sticker, replacement, if desired, shouldn't be difficult.

It's tough to beat free, but there are expenses affiliated which will add up. Moving/setup, new bumpers, and new cloth. No sense going through the trouble and then skimping on Simonis cloth and Diamond bumpers (K55?)... Do it right and it will play like a modern champion...

The person to contact would be Jamie Pluta in Lakeville. 952-212-POOL. A quick call will nail down the true expense involved... FYI, a lot of the top google results in the area are simply middle-men who charge you double, then farm out your job to Jamie anyway.

Good luck. Obviously some work involved but at the price you're paying it will still cost a fraction of my Diamond and probably play just as well.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My buddy's parents offered to give me their pool table, and i finally got a chance to go check it out.

a7fWFRvl.jpg

0t3kpwSl.jpg

Backstory:
They acquired it shortly after they bought the house in '79
Before that it was at the "Muni" (and possibly the American Legion) in Wayzata, where it hosted a whole cavalcade of bigwigs passing through town. Its even possible some of the old timers on here may have played on it.

It was well loved and taken care of, but earlier this year the pond invaded their basement, and now it's in the way of renovations.

I'm 100% sure the felt was never replaced, and it needs new bumpers, but other than

GMCq7uBl.jpg

Extraction is currently planned for 11/9

Congrats on a cool find/gift.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great table.

I’d approach this as a fun and rewarding project. Like restoring a beater car. Good for thr brain and soul.

Not all that expensive in the scheme of things. Fun to research and learn as you go. More rewarding end product if you do it all yourself.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
*If* it's the table in the brochure, it's cool retro looking... And *if* the corners indeed had a vinyl woodgrain sticker, replacement, if desired, shouldn't be difficult.
i found a bumper table on valley's flicker feed that has naked corners, so i've reconsidered the "missing vinyl".

Valley Model 15/25/35/45 by Valley-Dynamo Museum, on Flickr

either way, i like the look..

It's tough to beat free, but there are expenses affiliated which will add up. Moving/setup, new bumpers, and new cloth. No sense going through the trouble and then skimping on Simonis cloth and Diamond bumpers (K55?)... Do it right and it will play like a modern champion...

The person to contact would be Jamie Pluta in Lakeville. 952-212-POOL. A quick call will nail down the true expense involved... FYI, a lot of the top google results in the area are simply middle-men who charge you double, then farm out your job to Jamie anyway.

I moonlighted as a table mechanic in my younger years, so I'm capable of doing the work myself, but i appreciate the recommendation. It's good to know who to trust when the time comes.

Last edited:

PoodlePuncher

Registered
Great table.
I’d approach this as a fun and rewarding project. Like restoring a beater car. Good for thr brain and soul.

Not all that expensive in the scheme of things. Fun to research and learn as you go. More rewarding end product if you do it all yourself.

Absolutely!
Not looking for a "Show Piece", just something i can use to teach my daughter, and play with friends. My buddy is super excited, because this table was his childhood, and he doesn't remember the last time it played well.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be able to get tight pocket rails for your Valley table. At the moment, I cannot think of the name of them but someone on here will chime in I'm sure.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
Put Penguin Pro cut on my Valley and it made a world of difference.

I've been looking at the Penguin rails... but the pro rails don't appear to be an option, as i believe to be the "mythical" 6 footer (78x45)

6J52JMF.png

The pros and ridgebacks only go as low as the more common 88x50 size.

Honestly i don't have a desire to alter the pocket size...
I have a love affair with these tables, and the big pockets are part of it...

I can always do that in the future if i change my mind.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
According to the serial number, the table was made Oct-Dec 1973, so it is in fact A Big Cat, as i had suspected.
the Brochure i posted previously was from the end of this color's run in '75.

Also worth noting; it is in fact the mythical 6 footer.

The entire table fit easily inside the 6.5' bed of the truck

DOuq8nNl.jpg

75ca6Czl.jpg

PPdbmWdl.jpg

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool, the 6’ table. A bar I went to used to have one n crammed into a side room. Playing 8 ball it was congested. No long shots, but hard to move.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I've had a long love affair with these 6 footers.
I don't mind the congestion on 8 ball.. the large pockets make up for it (In my opinion), and i play a lot of 9 ball alone.

Never the less, I'd never be able to fit anything larger in my house

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I will add, I'm impressed by the grain detail on the legs...
I always thought they were solid wood, but they are in fact plastic.

BMnn6EEl.jpg

The picture doesn't do them justice.