Laurie Franklin (Southwest Cues) just called....

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I am on list for Southwest, might sell my Spot/cue for Right profit, if someone is interested. Other wise it will be Merrow Widow SouthWest BEM, with Cocobolo ring.
Your first instinct is to try and sell your spot for a profit? You're just the gift that keeps on giving within this forum. I've never understand you.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if it was worth waiting for why not play with it.
Who said I wasn't? People have a variety of reasons for getting on the list and buying a Southwest, and cues in general. Some just want to look at them and store them. That is fine as well!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that they only make pointed cues now. They don't accept any orders for Merry Widows. If I am wrong please do say so, as I am a bigger fan of widow cues than pointed cues.
Well, Laurie accepted orders for plain SWs last year. You can order what you want except for inlays.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned a couple SW cues back in the 90s (the quality was really excellent/worth the wait), but sold them when the first LD Predators came out. I wonder, if his latest ones play any different (reduced squirt)?
I spoke with a friend yesterday who is a huge SW guy -- and after using a SW Shaft for 30 years, he uses a REVO on it now and loves it. No rules! :)

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Jerry made cue,goncola alves and pau farro with fancy rings.I got it used when prices were not so crazy for such a plain cue. Try as I might I never really cared for feel of the legendary SW hit.Just my 2 cents.
I get it...but I will add that one of the best cues I ever hit with was a friends Tim Scruggs....and the three different TS cues I owned didn't come CLOSE to his. They weren't bad players by any means, and were beautiful cues...but to me, didn't have that magic. Again, it's all subjective!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over 15 years to get a cue! I know their waiting list is long, but I don’t even know if I’ll be alive in 15 years.
You don't have to pay a deposit until they start....so it's painless to get on the list.

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
SW sticks are okay....if you're into that kind of thing.

;)

Congrats, Matt! Thrilled that your long wait is over. Enjoy it.

Next time we meet, you get the 8.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might take another 15 years to actually receive it from the USPS the way the mail is moving this season- I just received one package today postmarked DEC. 17!
FEDEX has been great. Received a cue in THREE days last week. That's how SW ships as well.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am stumped at how the prices have gone out of control. I bought my first pre date 6 point 2 veneer in I think 1982 from Jerry personally in Chicago through John Wright, I paid 275.00. I believe they had a falling out later on due to John. John sold a million cues, ok maybe not that many but he was well known. It was cool to meet Jerry and I always enjoyed the feel of the hit on those and did have several over the years but never sold one over 1,000.
Nothing to be stumped about. It's Economics - supply vs demand. The prices aren't bad if you're buying directly from Laurie as a new order.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Nothing to be stumped about. It's Economics - supply vs demand. The prices aren't bad if you're buying directly from Laurie as a new order.
Oh I know, I'm just mad I didn't buy a hundred of them back then. I was shocked when I saw some prices on inyq many years ago and that's nothing compared to now.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SW sticks are okay....if you're into that kind of thing.

;)

Congrats, Matt! Thrilled that your long wait is over. Enjoy it.

Next time we meet, you get the 8.
Mark, where in the WORLD have you been! We're both LONG retired now.. Reach out when you get a chance.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned a couple SW cues back in the 90s (the quality was really excellent/worth the wait), but sold them when the first LD Predators came out. I wonder, if his latest ones play any different (reduced squirt)?
They are known and loved for their HIGH deflection characteristics. Especially in Asia. They use deflection as a tool - and want SWs because they view them as very "powerful" cues.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am stumped at how the prices have gone out of control. I bought my first pre date 6 point 2 veneer in I think 1982 from Jerry personally in Chicago through John Wright, I paid 275.00. I believe they had a falling out later on due to John. John sold a million cues, ok maybe not that many but he was well known. It was cool to meet Jerry and I always enjoyed the feel of the hit on those and did have several over the years but never sold one over 1,000.
Wow. John Wright....a name from the distant past for sure. I bought a couple of Gus‘s fancier cues from him (and BTW consistently beat him on his own GC). He also used to haunt the trade shows.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue is being shipped today. Only 15 years and 9 months :)

One shaft will have the pro taper at 12.5mm and the other a full 13mm standard taper.

How many of you actively play with a Southwest Cue? I'm really excited!
Wow - that’s a long time! I thought I was crazy waiting nearly 3 years for my custom 60” Mezz Exceed cue. When the time finally comes, it’s always worth the wait!

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Wow. John Wright....a name from the distant past for sure. I bought a couple of Gus‘s fancier cues from him (and BTW consistently beat him on his own GC). He also used to haunt the trade shows.
I remember going down to the basement, playing pool and checking out all the cues John had, 5-6 SW at a time it was insane. Met him at Chicago heights billiards, I think that was the place. It's been so long but I think there was another place a few doors down, maybe the green room? RIP John.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FEDEX has been great. Received a cue in THREE days last week. That's how SW ships as well.
Glad to hear that! I AM WAITING NOW 10 DAYS ON A CUE USPS PRIORITY TO ME- No info from the tracking- no one knows where the cue is right now- no ONE!