Does it get any better? Cue Veneer points.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is all true, but I do love playing with a world class cue. I do take care storing it away when it's not my shot. I have two Ned Morris cues loaded with ivory and probably two of his best except for his Tulip cue. I do not play with those and they are in my safe.

Zeek

Cue Freek
Silver Member
haley1.jpg

Attachments

• haley2.jpg
    haley2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 154
  • haley3.jpg
    haley3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 144

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone is considering ordering/buying a cue with 6 veneers, I have to say that from 3 feet away, I can only see a black line around the inner ebony point. I think 6 veneers may be too many.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect that the bleeding happened when the cue was coated. Perhaps the blue veneer was not allowed to dry properly before. Again, not a cue maker, just supposing. Still a fine looking cue though.
I researched the issue, and from what I gather a lot of cue makers buy their veneers pre-made, so they are at the mercy of the veneer maker. If the veneer maker makes veneers that bleed when the finish is applied, then they won't get repeat business.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those veneers look nice. But, I have a Scruggs, TNS, John Davis(forearm) and Perry Weston, where the seams at the tips of the points are much more precise. I have other cues made by prominent cue makers that have point tips similar to yours.
I am not a cuemaker, but I can imagine that it is very difficult to get the points to be perfect.
Who made your cue?
He said Ned Morris.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HawaiianEye posted a good picture of the returns on a Jim Lee cue made from a John Davis blank:

4AD7A0F6-EAFD-4BBB-9BCB-7FDB91017371.jpeg

You can see where the wood of the light colored return point ends, then black glue/filler is used to make the point look sharp. That looks similar to the PFD cue made from a John Davis blank that I handled.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cues Zeek. The blue veneers on that Haley are incredible. I love the slotted diamonds and the three dots. And a Mobley? I've seen only a couple for sale here, and the pictures always got deleted before I could look at them. They are ghosts. I do notice that the brown veneer has bled into the yellow in places on both sides of the point. Wait a minute. The big image isn't the same as the thumbnail, right? Who made the big picture cue?

Zeek

Cue Freek
Silver Member
Nice cues Zeek. The blue veneers on that Haley are incredible. I love the slotted diamonds and the three dots. And a Mobley? I've seen only a couple for sale here, and the pictures always got deleted before I could look at them. They are ghosts. I do notice that the brown veneer has bled into the yellow in places on both sides of the point. Wait a minute. The big image isn't the same as the thumbnail, right? Who made the big picture cue?

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeff Olney does great veneer work.
Garten Bierbower also.

Attachments

• JOBushkaforearm.jpg
    JOBushkaforearm.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 118
  • NewGBven.jpg.JPG
    NewGBven.jpg.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 112
  • NewGBfore.jpg.jpg
    NewGBfore.jpg.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 110
  • GBGus7.jpg
    GBGus7.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 110
  • GBGus6.jpg
    GBGus6.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 108
  • GBGus1.jpeg
    GBGus1.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 111
  • fav2.jpg.JPG
    fav2.jpg.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 100

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Veneering is always a can of worms. Starting with the veneers and dying system itself. Over time, you learn who to buy veneer sheets from and who not to buy from.
Just because a veneer sheet is dry to the touch, doesn't mean it's cure dried. So when the glue hits it, it bleeds. The blues were brutal.
Example
This guy doesn't do them anymore and most Cue makers are happy about it.

Attachments

• IMG_070521_023940.jpg
    IMG_070521_023940.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_070521_023832.jpg
    IMG_070521_023832.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: bbb

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP.
Welcome to the Forum. You left yourself open with your words.
Show your work proudly but never say, is there anything better.
Good luck

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the OP.
Welcome to the Forum. You left yourself open with your words.
Show your work proudly but never say, is there anything better.
Good luck
Yes, the cue was made by Ned Morris. I'd rather have the cue maker make them "hand made" instead of using a computer CNC machine. Ned Morris does not have a CNC. Those of us that have his cues know Ned is among the best.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the cue was made by Ned Morris. I'd rather have the cue maker make them "hand made" instead of using a computer CNC machine. Ned Morris does not have a CNC. Those of us that have his cues know Ned is among the best.
Nothing better than compliments from a happy customer.