Recent content by Canadian cue

  1. Canadian cue

    Finishing nickel silver

    I have observed a couple of things while preparing metallic rings for finish. It is all about how light refracts off the metal and how you prep them changes that. I have established a few rules. I always polish my rings separate from the rest of the cue, always sand and polish while spinning...
  2. Canadian cue

    Plain Jane cue construction

    Your design is possible, but it would involve some reinforcement under the skin sort of speak. You could use a Phenolic sleave at each end of the cue and you install it by creating a face groove and leave a thin veneer of material on the out side. You have to engineer the sleave so as it is...
  3. Canadian cue

    1 inch mezz cue extension

    Where are you in Canada? The cheapest route is to 3d print one. I have done this in the past and they turned out nice. You can even incorporate a soft bumper with the use of TPU. I used carbon fiber filament to print the body.
  4. Canadian cue

    African Blackwood log

    My log is still sitting... to many other distractions in life. Getting close to retirement so I will have more time to dedicate towards building cues. I have been keeping my eye open for a good sawyer, I may end up contracting this out. It is too nice a piece to risk learning on.
  5. Canadian cue

    Right Side/Left Side

    I have spent the last 6 months breaking my fundamentals and relearning and experimenting. And in all of this I have discovered that the grip is huge. If I am not hitting the cue ball down the middle it is usually the grip that is throwing my cue offline. My goal is to have my pre shot routine to...
  6. Canadian cue

    8 ball spot in 8 ball

    How big a spot would not having to sink the 8 be in 8 ball? Thoughts
  7. Canadian cue

    leather wrap labor time?

    If you like the quality of work you received and the price is right, the rest don't matter. A routine wrap change shouldn't take more than an hour IMO. Having said that I have had some nightmare wrap changes where the last installer used the wrong type of glue and getting the old one off was...
  8. Canadian cue

    Coring on an Engine Lathe

    That's good use of a 3d printer.
  9. Canadian cue

    Coring on an Engine Lathe

    I have always cored with a steady rest, the steady also incorporates dust collection. It becomes a balancing act of air pressure into the drill and vacuum through the dust collection. I usually core when things are not hugely oversize. I don't see the point of cutting forearm blanks at 1.25"...
  10. Canadian cue

    Can't find .060 Brass rings anywhere, can someone point me to a source? I've tried dozens without luck

    As a side note, cutting out your own rings on the cnc is how I do real silver rings. Quite a bit of savings from buying them. You can repurpose the left over for inlay or sell it as scrap silver.
  11. Canadian cue

    Porper linen press

    Does anyone know if there was a patent on this design, or if the patent has expired? It wouldn't be difficult to reverse engineer one. I have two and could easily build a replica. There is nothing about the design that is inherently difficult to machine. If there was enough demand, I would...
  12. Canadian cue

    Mike Massey ball set

    Does anyone know anything about these ? Good , bad etc..?
  13. Canadian cue

    Can any wood be repurposed?

    With the use of coring just about any wood can be used to build a cue. If you use a decent sized core the parent wood becomes more like a veneer. I bore out the inside of my piece with a taper that matches the cue. So the veneer is not very thick. Having said that the wood you choose should...
  14. Canadian cue

    Making a sneaky pete from a blank

    That is a tricky question. It is more of a judgment call depending on wood species, where the blank was made and where it its going to live it's life. Going from a moist environment to dry one or the opposite, the wood will likely move. So you need to give the wood time to acclimate. Once the...
  15. Canadian cue

    Making a sneaky pete from a blank

    The Devil is in the detail. The hardest part in finishing a nice blank is knowing when its seasoned well enough that it wont move after its turned. Centering the blank so the points end up even as well as having it balance and weigh what you like is also a consideration. Finishing the blank and...
Back
Top