Recent content by Stickman9

  1. S

    Billiards Digest

    I just got my September issue today but am still waiting for the August issue. I spoke to BD yesterday, and they said that the publisher is still sending out the missing issues (second class). So, they could still show up. Fingers crossed.
  2. S

    How good was George Breedlove

    George Breedlove has a lot of heart. In the mid-1990s, I saw him play Joe Frady in the finals of a McDermott Tour event in Virginia. Coming from the one-loss side, he had to beat Frady twice. He struggled in the first set but pushed through and barely won. He came on strong in the second set and...
  3. S

    Pool cue cases

    I was looking for a case to replace my 30-year-old 2x4 It's George case. It's still in good shape but is too small for all my stuff. I didn't want a butterfly case or a case with tubes. The JB cases are too snug for me (I have a 2x4 GTF case that is really a 2x2). I ended up getting a 3x5...
  4. S

    To Be a Better Player

    Another really good book is The Mental Game of Baseball.
  5. S

    If a gun was put to your head to choose one player to pocket a difficult shot for you, who would you choose?

    I have a similar story. I was at the US Open in the early 90s and watched Earl warm up. He repeatedly shot the shot you described, except that he drew the cue ball back to the end rail (and I don't remember him missing any of the shots). So my choice would be Earl in his prime...
  6. S

    Best Current Pool Players 70+ Years Old?

    My thought exactly.
  7. S

    Best All-Around Production Cue for ~$1000 (Value, Playability, Durability, Support)?

    I agree about the narrow points (unless they are "bridged") and gaps between them. Also not a fan of odd umbers of points. For cues under $1,000, I agree with earlier posts that there are SPs that play great. I have a Frey SP that plays great and was my regular playing cue for several years.
  8. S

    Custom Cue with Ivory

    He hasn't used it for quite a while (I think since the mid 2010s)
  9. S

    Questions on a Tim Scruggs SP please. ( Age and value?)

    I have a Scruggs SP exactly like outrider1's. I bought if from Tim in 1999 for $160. I also have a Frey SP. Both play great.
  10. S

    George Breedlove

    I don't remember where or exactly when the tournament was, but 1994 at First Break sounds about right. I miss the McDermott Tour tournaments. For a $50 entry fee, you had the opportunity to play really good players (and even some pros--Earl Strickland played in the Commonwealth Cup in Richmond...
  11. S

    Sports Palace?

    Unfortunately, the Sport Palace (not Sports Palace) is closed. Buffalo, who was one of the co-owners, runs Buffalos in NOLA.
  12. S

    Buddy Hall - RIP

    I heard that was at the Sport Palace in New Orleans.
  13. S

    EYE PATTERN “Best Practices” … Cue Ball or Object Ball Focus Last?

    The examples of distance visions that Dr. Dave gives in the video (around 7:10) are: basketball, bowling, baseball pitching, horseshoes, and darts. I would argue that all of these examples are fundamentally different from pool. In these sports you are moving the ball, horseshoe or dart with your...
  14. S

    Tim Scruggs Sneaky

    Bob Frey made a lot (most?) of Tim's SPs. I have one of each, and both play great.
  15. S

    What do you guys think of this estimate?

    I was surprised too. When I bought the table in 1997, it was about $500 to recover the table with Simonis.
Back
Top