Stacked Leather Wrap finishing question

keninar

Registered
Once the leather has been applied and thoroughly pressed and one enters the sanding phase - what is the "end game" of the sanding?

Is the spiral joint of the leather strip supposed to remain visible/tactile? Or should the sanding phase reduce the leather to the appearance of a single piece?

Just an old man playing around with the tools and techniques - and this forum has been a great resource.
Thanks to All!

Keninar

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sand until it is smooth and has no divots in it. The lines will always be visible and that is one of the nice looks you are after.

keninar

Registered
Mesh sand paper - Humm Have it in stock, but never tumbled to that option for leather. May I inquire as to why you advocate the use of mesh sandpaper/it's benefits?

Greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mesh sand paper - Humm Have it in stock, but never tumbled to that option for leather. May I inquire as to why you advocate the use of mesh sandpaper/it's benefits?

Greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!
Because the leather want get burn spots, the same way as it often does if you use regular sand paper. The added benefit of the sand paper not clogging up speeds things up considerably 🙂

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I also use mesh. I will sometimes finish with regular sandpaper (220) if I want a smoother finish.