Little Q & A I did with Ann Gore

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
My brief semi conversation about Fellini and Ann Gore Cases with the one and only Ann Gore…

Joe Van: So, you started with Bob at Fellini?

Ann Gore: Bob and I started Fellini and then I broke off and my company name was Manx but for some reason I put Ann Gore designer in the labels I did not do any tooling with Manx. Bob got the idea after seeing a case by Ginacue.

J.V.: Did you AG mark all the Fellini’s you tooled?

A.G.: Maybe not the first one or two but after that I always sign my initials. The first tooled Fellini was the double interlock geometric pattern.

J.V.: So, you did all the tooling, how did it start?

A.G.: Yes, I can remember being at Tandy Leather and saying to Bob hey let's get some cowhide and I'll try to Tool something. My favorite cases were ones that I made to coordinate with a cue makers cue.

J.V.: Did you outsource the felt liners?

A.G.: I had a lady who was probably in her 80s that would make them for us her name was Lottie Cobb.

J.V.: How many people worked at Fellini?

A.G.: 3, Bob, Stephen Bass and I. Steven made the cases, prepared the plastic, put in the lining, and put the latch on after I finished the leather work. I lost touch with Stephen, but Bob and I remained friends till the end.

J.V: How long did you continue Manx cases and about how many did you make?

A.G.: About 1 ½ to two years and about 50-75 cases.

J.V.: Did you get the extruded tubes from the same company as Bob?

A.G.: No, it was a different company and at the end I sold my tubing to someone in Florida.

J.V.: Could you tell me about the design in the center of this case? I know you guys did it first, but it became synonymous with Centennial cases. (Starburst pattern)

A.G.: I think I was inspired by Southwest art when I just on a whim did the sunburst.

J.V.: Did you have specific names for your tooling patterns?

A.G.: Yeah, my first design we always called it the interlocking design I think we called the ones with the tooling just at the ends that they were banded and then of course the sunburst. The double interlock took a lot of concentration 1 mishap and the case was screwed leather you cannot erase.

Ref the Janett Butterfly Case:

J.V.: Not my cup of tea per se but the prettiest Fellini I think I have ever seen from a decorative point of view.

A.G.: Not my cup of tea either but she wanted a really feminine case, and this was kind of out of my comfort zone, but I guess it turned out okay. This was one of a kind, or maybe two…

Ref. pictures provided by Ann Gore.

J.V.: Wow they are some nice cases. I like Allen Hopkins case.

A.G.: Yes, that was a case made to match his cue.

Attachments

• fellini-1.jpg
    fellini-1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 243
  • fellini-2.jpg
    fellini-2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 237
  • gore_sheet_back.jpeg
    gore_sheet_back.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 216
  • gore_sheet_cover.jpeg
    gore_sheet_cover.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 201
  • original_fellini_pricing_photo_card_back.jpeg
    original_fellini_pricing_photo_card_back.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 205
  • original_fellini_pricing_photo_card_frt.jpeg
    original_fellini_pricing_photo_card_frt.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 197
  • original_press_photo.jpeg
    original_press_photo.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 200
  • original_stamp.jpeg
    original_stamp.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 237

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story! I had the opportunity to buy the Janett butterfly case about 15 years ago from a guy near San Antonio or Austin, cant' remember. It came with a Schick cue. He had a Richard Black, 2 Schicks, and a Tad. I think he only had one Gore case. The others were Fellini's. I bought the Black and Tad and regret not buying the Schicks (obviously looking back). They were both early Schicks and the inlay work wasn't very clean or appealing to me at the time. The guy also had one of the "6" original Meucci Roadrunner cues, but he had ruined it by epoxying a gold Wile E Coyote pendant that had been bent to match the curve of the buttsleeve. He wanted $9k for the Meucci!