Homemade Cue Extension

KUKABUKA

I've been looking into making myself a butt extension. I have a midsize cue smith lathe and am comfortable with installing the pin, but have never applied a finish to a cue. I have some extension kits from cuefits and already have a straight 1.25" poplar dowel (I'm aware this may warp)

Given no real setup and no experience with finishing, how would you go about making this a functional extension? Would an oil rub finish be super weird next to the finish of a normal butt? Any major reason to not use this poplar dowel? This is purely a "don't want to use a mechanical bridge" extension, it's not going to be used for breaking etc.

Thanks in advance.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've been looking into making myself a butt extension. I have a midsize cue smith lathe and am comfortable with installing the pin, but have never applied a finish to a cue. I have some extension kits from cuefits and already have a straight 1.25" poplar dowel (I'm aware this may warp)

Given no real setup and no experience with finishing, how would you go about making this a functional extension? Would an oil rub finish be super weird next to the finish of a normal butt? Any major reason to not use this poplar dowel? This is purely a "don't want to use a mechanical bridge" extension, it's not going to be used for breaking etc.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest trying several finishes on test pieces to see what you like using and what is suitable for your use with your butt. Good thing about poplar is it is cheap.