Ivory Cue balls

SlowGuns

Anybody know the value of some very old ivory cue balls? I have three that I’ve had for over 50 years.. I don’t know if they have more value as balls or as cutting them up and using them in pool cues. Thanks.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Haha! After a decade plus, we're still waiting of the results of this one.

1716164196345.jpeg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Anybody know the value of some very old ivory cue balls? I have three that I’ve had for over 50 years.. I don’t know if they have more value as balls or as cutting them up and using them in pool cues. Thanks.
Seriously, first show us some pictures, and some of us can likely tell you if what you have is real ivory.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure or the value but I definitely wouldn't cut them up. They are worth more as is. I might be interested in one if you could post some pics and see if the community could verify their authenticity

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the only one I have. My friend probably has over 1/2 dozen or more. He gave me this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 48

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Becareful if you plan on selling them. It seems like shipping them across state lines is very illegal now.
Gosh…..shipping across state lines is fine……..it is the sale or purchase……transfer of ownership……that’s the issue.

There are 50 states and only a handful have adopted any ivory ban restrictions. Possession of ivory is also legal in the
states adopting bans. Ever hear of the Volstead Act? In the United States, any laws restricting the sale of ivory sale are
enacted on a De Facto basis, not Ex Post Facto. That why you could still legally drink booze after passage of the Volstead Act as long as you bought it before midnight the day before the law took effect. It was the manufacture, sale & transportation of alcohol that Prohibition banned, not consuming alcohol you possessed before the law’s enactment As the cues in my collection should attest, I’ve studied the subject closely since my pool cues are rather unique and very important to me.

Benelli

base value of a plain ivory ball in great shape is about $150 to $175 on the secondary market.

If it's dyed or part of a unique set then the value will go up from there.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Most ivory billiard balls will fall under the ESA antique exemption. (100 years old and documented) However there are 13 or so states that have zero tolerance for ivory sales and dictate heavily on what you can do with any ivory you have.

J. V.