Cue Order

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am far from a high level player. I took my Pechauer Rogue shaft off the butt it came with, and placed it on my original cue. The balance moved forward and the cue got lighter. My draw shot immediately improved.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the way he phrased it wasn’t precise but it’s a fact that a lighter cue makes for a livelier cue ball and a slower object ball and a heavier cue makes for a more lethargic cue ball and a faster moving object ball. Whether a 3/8x10 joint is “no good” is speculative but instances of 3/8x10 shafts threads becoming worn over time and loose have happened. As mentioned by another poster, there are more than a few cue makers that recommend phenolic collars to prevent sticking. Everyone has their own experiences and I’m sure Al’s experiences as a player as well as a maker play into his positions on these matters. Is he right? Depends on who you talk to, but at the end of the day all cue makers have their idea of what makes a good cue which is why there are numerous makers and players that are fond of different makers. If a maker won’t budge to accommodate a buyer, the buyer always has a choice to go elsewhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You literary skills are polished but your pool analysis is flawsed. Do you know how many world records were set playing with cues heavier than 19 ozs? Lighter weight cues were not popular decades ago and to think of a heavier cue contributing to a lethargic stroke is just silly. A golf club doesn’t decide the swing, the player does. Same applies to pool…. The player decides the.stroke, not the pool cue….Nuf Ced!

TrxR

Which TOP pro plays with 16-17 oz range? It was in a recent Karl Boyes "what's in your case" video. I forget who.

Edit, and there was another TOP pro karl interview that was at the other end, maybe 22oz. I forgot who that was as well.
One of the KO brothers said theirs was 20oz

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Basically a cue maker that says let me make the cue my way which does not mean it is the best way for the cue’s owner.
With his approach, he can just make a bunch of SP cues so he has a supply on hand. You either buy his cue or don’t..

He must be successful or no one would indulge his approach. It’s my money, my cue and it’s made my way or not.
That’s my approach and I’m happy with my cue specs. BTW, lots of people draw the cue ball using a heavier cue.

This is not a knock on Al’s cue making. He’s been successfully making SP cues a long time. His bedside approach
needs improvement but he’s not inclined to change at this point and likely doesn’t have any incentive or reason to.
At times, a cue-maker and a customer just aren't made for each other.
😉

warchief

Which TOP pro plays with 16-17 oz range? It was in a recent Karl Boyes "what's in your case" video. I forget who.

Edit, and there was another TOP pro karl interview that was at the other end, maybe 22oz. I forgot who that was as well.
I think it was Filler for the light cue and FSR for the really heavy cue. Once Filler mentioned how light his cue was, I think Karl asked him if he ever tried FSR's cue since it's on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of weight.

DeeDeeCues

Perhaps the way he phrased it wasn’t precise but it’s a fact that a lighter cue makes for a livelier cue ball and a slower object ball and a heavier cue makes for a more lethargic cue ball and a faster moving object ball.

No it isn't a fact. The cb speed is affected by the cue weight and speed, but the object ball is only a function of the cb speed. It is the basest of basic physics.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also summarized the conversation a bit. When I requested it to be 19oz he did say that is too heavy and it would be hard to draw the ball. He suggested I get something lighter and I asked if he could get it close to 19. He replied that he would need to find some heavier wood and may have to make it a 2 piece butt to achieve that weight. I guess he doesn't use weight bolts for his cues, because of that I agreed to make it 18oz.
This makes me believe he is a stubborn minded cue maker. Any cue maker that tells a prospective customer they have to locate some heavier wood to make the cue close to 19 ozs. does not want to build cues according to what the customer wants. I’d find out how much the butt will weigh without any bolt and how much the shaft will weigh.

Let’s say the butt comes in at 15.0 ozs. And the cue weighs 18.25 ozs. You really do not not want a shaft that only weighs 3.25 ozs. There’s a weight proportionality between the shaft and butt that I’ll refrain from elaborating about.

What if someone wanted a cue weight of 19.25 ozs. Would Al just install a 1.2 oz. weight bolt? That would ruin the cue’s balance and is like a cheat sheet to deliver the customer the weight they wanted. Good cue makers can build you a cue with your specs and they don’t have to go find wood to make a cue heavier than 18 ozs. Next time ask some questions.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

People have to remember this when building a cue….pick a guy that does custom work. Don’t pick a famous cue maker that has a signature design and construction process, and tell him how to build you something.

Does Romero build customs or he has a signature design ?

Let’s say I’m ordering a Tascarella. All I want to do is choose colors and the shaft sizes. Maybe an inlay here and there. The rest is up to them . I am buying them.

I have seen some fantastic Tascarella cues that are outside their usual signature style. They are beautiful and designed by them.

I have seen some ugly Tascarella’s because someone paid them to make their horrible design.

You guys get the idea.

Miss Spico

Registered
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay let’s do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.
Lil Al is great - very knowledgeable - smart to go with what he says. Hope you love it

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This makes me believe he is a stubborn minded cue maker. Any cue maker that tells a prospective customer they have to locate some heavier wood to make the cue close to 19 ozs. does nor want to build cues according to what the customer wants. I’d find out how much the butt will weigh without any bolt and how much the shaft will weigh.

Let’s say the butt comes in at 15.0 ozs. And the cue weighs 18.25 ozs. You really do not not want a shaft that only weighs 3.25 ozs. There’s a weight proportionality between the shaft and butt that I’ll refrain from elaborating about.

What if someone wanted a cue weight of 19.25 ozs., does Al just put in a 1.2 oz. weight bolt? That would ruin the cue’s balance and is like a cheat sheet to deliver the customer the weight they wanted. Good cue makers can build you a cue with your specs and they don’t have to go find wood to make a cue heavier than 18 ozs. Next time ask some questions.
We completely agree. For my liking, the balance point would probably be off. 😎

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
even if it doesn't pass the smell test. some believe what they read or are told.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really don’t have to as all my customs were built to be 18.5 ozs. and the same joint style. However, my Runde Schon
cue, completed in early ‘85, weighs 20.35 ozs. It’s been a closet pool cue since ‘05 after I got my 1st custom @ 18.5 ozs.
I usually like mine at between 18.6 and 19.0 with a balance point around 19.0 to 19.25 inches from the butt of the cue. Over the years, that is just what has felt best to me.
🤷

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have to remember this when building a cue….pick a guy that does custom work. Don’t pick a famous cue maker that has a signature design and construction process, and tell him how to build you something.

Does Romero build customs or he has a signature design ?

Let’s say I’m ordering a Tascarella. All I want to do is choose colors and the shaft sizes. Maybe an inlay here and there. The rest is up to them . I am buying them.

I have seen some fantastic Tascarella cues that are outside their usual signature style. They are beautiful and designed by them.

I have seen some ugly Tascarella’s because someone paid them to make their horrible design.

You guys get the idea.
I think it depends what you're looking for, I called up Al because of the reputation his Sneaky Pete's have. There have been many people on here that highly recommend his cues for the hit they posess. That was the reason I went with his suggestions, because I wanted the cue to have the type of hit they were known for. If I wanted a cue built to my exact specs I would have called someone else. Would anyone here call Barry Szamboti for a 63 inch cue with a slim handle, tennis grip wrap, G10 Radial Pin, and a low deflection shaft? He'd probably ask you if you got hit on the head recently. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad cuemaker. Some cuemakers prefer to make a specific design and thats okay.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it depends what you're looking for, I called up Al because of the reputation his Sneaky Pete's have. There have been many people on here that highly recommend his cues for the hit they posess. That was the reason I went with his suggestions, because I wanted the cue to have the type of hit they were known for. If I wanted a cue built to my exact specs I would have called someone else. Would anyone here call Barry Szamboti for a 63 inch cue with a slim handle, tennis grip wrap ,G10 Radial Pin, and a low deflection shaft? He'd probably ask you if you got hit on the head recently. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad cuemaker. Some cuemakers prefer to make a specific design and thats okay.
Well said. Different strokes for different folks. If you want an Al Romero sneaky, you call Al Romero.
😎

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay lets do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.
I'm surprised some people think his questions are reasonable. Recommendations are fine, but this guy refuses to make the cue you want. I would have hung up the phone half way through that conversation.

Zerksies

This was many years ago, But i worked with this woman at the pool hall wanted a 16-17oz cue. She couldn't run three balls if her life depended on it. But thought she was good enough to be on the pro tour 🤣

T411

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m Al’s nephew and I find this thread pretty humorous. I’m 58 year old and I’m youngster compared to my uncle but I’m old enough to know anyone that knows Al doesn’t question his integrity. In fact I’ve run into numerous people in pool rooms across the country that go out of their way for me when they find out through conversations that I’m Al’s nephew. I’ve been told many days gone by stories of who Al beat and almost universally they’ll follow their story up with something along the lines of as great of a pool player your uncle was and he was great he is even a better man. I know that there are plenty of “youngsters” out there that are around my age and younger that don’t really know who Al Romero is. I can guarantee you Al doesn't have a cues in the corner of his shop already made that he‘s looking to unload. Cues he makes are already sold. In the pool world you’ll run into your fair share of characters that you might question their character or integrity… Al Romero is not one of them. Al has more pool knowledge about the game and cues in his little finger than most will ever gain in their lifetime. And if you are lucky enough to really know him and he shares his wisdom beyond pool you’ll be the wiser. The conversation that was had with Stew boo I’ve heard numerous times through out the years when visiting Al’s shop since I’ve been 14 years old, but what’s lost in the translation is that Al’s making recommendations many times it’s to someone that’s not at all near a professional level player so take that any way you feel. I read the first post and can clearly see that Stew boo meant nothing derogatory but clearly some people that don’t know Al felt compelled. If I told my uncle about this thread and told him what I posted I know he would laugh and tell me not to waste my time.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

I’m Al’s nephew and I find this thread pretty humorous. I’m 58 year old and I’m youngster compared to my uncle but I’m old enough to know anyone that knows Al doesn’t question his integrity. In fact I’ve run into numerous people in pool rooms across the country that go out of their way for me when they find out through conversations that I’m Al’s nephew. I’ve been told many days gone by stories of who Al beat and almost universally they’ll follow their story up with something along the lines of as great of a pool player your uncle was and he was great he is even a better man. I know that there are plenty of “youngsters” out there that are around my age and younger that don’t really know who Al Romero is. I can guarantee you Al doesn't have a cues in the corner of his shop already made that he‘s looking to unload. Cues he makes are already sold. In the pool world you’ll run into your fair share of characters that you might question their character or integrity… Al Romero is not one of them. Al has more pool knowledge about the game and cues in his little finger than most will ever gain in their lifetime. And if you are lucky enough to really know him and he shares his wisdom beyond pool you’ll be the wiser. The conversation that was had with Stew boo I’ve heard numerous times through out the years when visiting Al’s shop since I’ve been 14 years old, but what’s lost in the translation is that Al’s making recommendations many times it’s to someone that’s not at all near a professional level player so take that any way you feel. I read the first post and can clearly see that Stew boo meant nothing derogatory but clearly some people that don’t know Al felt compelled. If I told my uncle about this thread and told him what I posted I know he would laugh and tell me not to waste my time.
Thank you for this.

Unfortunately the actions of many cue makers have tarnished others such as your uncle. I’ve had good experiences with a cue maker but my general opinion is still negative due to others. Your uncle is being lumped with the entire industry.

This will unfortunately continue on until they change their practices.

With that said I am a bit different in that I like to buy the cue maker’s work and mind. I would just say make me what you think is good. I will give him my height and wingspan measurements. That’s it.

Always give your height and wingspan to a cue maker. This is very important.

Last edited: