interesting new apa division starting this month

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw in my news letter tonight that we are starting a new division up this month....if it gets enough teams interested.

It's called the aloha league.

Format is 8 ball double jeapordy. . That means 2 rounds of 5 matches a night.

It will have 3 sessions just like regular league with tri cups held after each session and city tournament at the end if the year. The winning team at the end if the year receives 10,000.00 for a trip to Hawaii.

It will be held on Thursday nights in my area and I am interested in moving my Thursday night team to this new division. Problem is my Thursday team is strictly 9 ball and I dont know if they would be willing to switch to playing 2 games of 8 ball vs playing one game of 9 ball as we currently do.

Another issue is we would lose our eligibility for higher level tournaments which we have already qualified for.

Gonna talk to them and see.

Any of you apa guys playing it in your area ?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw in my news letter tonight that we are starting a new division up this month....if it gets enough teams interested.

It will have 3 sessions just like regular league with tri cups held after each session and city tournament at the end if the year. The winning team at the end if the year receives 10,000.00 for a trip to Hawaii.

It will be held on Thursday nights in my area and I am interested in moving my Thursday night team to this new division. Problem is my Thursday team is strictly 9 ball and I dont know if they would be willing to switch to playing 2 games of 8 ball vs playing one game of 9 ball as we currently do.

Another issue is we would lose our eligibility for higher level tournaments which we have already qualified for.

Sounds like a very interesting category.
Don't do APA myself.
Personally, I would save all the heartache and just buy a ticket and go to Hawaii
on my own.
Those "free vacations" are always so exhausting.

I wish the best of luck to the new category within APA.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have the aloha tournament once a year, but it isn't it's own division. You can qualify for the tournament in each session.

The 8 ball team I captain won the tournament this year and we are going to the tournament in Oahu in Feb! I am super stoked. :D

I am super proud of the folks on the team because this night is a bar box team, and the tournament was at our local hall on 9 foot tables, and we beat a 9 ft table team to take it.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have the aloha tournament once a year, but it isn't it's own division. You can qualify for the tournament in each session.

The 8 ball team I captain won the tournament this year and we are going to the tournament in Oahu in Feb! I am super stoked. :D

I am super proud of the folks on the team because this night is a bar box team, and the tournament was at our local hall on 9 foot tables, and we beat a 9 ft table team to take it.

Congrats you buncha sandbaggers. J/k :D

We play on 9's once in a while and yea its gratifying beating those guys who play on the 9's more than we do.

I will have to check into this new league a little more. I was under the impression it falls under the same rules as the rest of the league . Such as if you qualify you have to play the next session also keeping the majority of your team intact.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't do APA myself.
Personally, I would save all the heartache and just buy a ticket and go to Hawaii
on my own.

Thanks for the well wishes if I decide to join this format.

Let me be clear ....i dont play pool for money and I certainly dont play apa to try to win a free trip but if I happen to win either I certainly aint turning it down. :grin:

The way I look at it is....i already play on 4 teams where the winner goes to Vegas. Why not move one of those teams to a division where you may win a trip to hawaii.

I play pool just for the enjoyment of playing in a competitive environment...with out too much drama hopefully.

I used to play in 3 different money leagues and my teams usually finished in the top 3 and sometimes won it all and I never recall where we did not at less make our money back.i just got tired of all the bs and drama....arguing over rules.fouls etc etc. I always say....nothing will turn friends into enemies quicker than money.

Last edited:

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats you buncha sandbaggers. J/k :D

We play on 9's once in a while and yea its gratifying beating those guys who play on the 9's more than we do.

I will have to check into this new league a little more. I was under the impression it falls under the same rules as the rest of the league . Such as if you qualify you have to play the next session also keeping the majority of your team intact.

Ha, thanks for the congrats. I play on 9ft tables regularly but nobody else on that team does. It is a really good team, but they have repeatedly struggled in high pressure playoffs and tournaments before this. I think they finally found their legs. That particular team is actually just my group of motorcycle friends and it is more of a social night for me. Even better I get to go to Hawaii with those people. Frankly I'll take the HI trip over Vegas anytime. Also we get to take a representative from your home location, so the bar owner gets to come to, so that should be fun. We get 4 nights and airfare included. The tournament is on one day while we are there and apparently takes all day.

I don't know about your league, but yes our rules are similar to vegas, keeping your team intact etc. Season winners are automatically placed in the Hawaii tournament, and there are also is a loser spot in the tournament each season.

Our tournament to win the trip is formatted just like the tournament we will play in HI. It is a little different than a normal APA tournament. Before each match you must write in the 5 players who are going to play, from highest to lowest. They will play in that order, and only one game per person so no race to whatever. Also, every player on the team must play at least twice in the tournament. So there is a fair bit of strategy in how to create your lineups. Especially since you can't create super uneven match ups.

The Aloha challenge tournament is at Hawaiian Brian's on Oahu, and this year there will be 28 mainland teams, and 4 island teams. $16,000 in prizes.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Why would you lose your eligibility for your HLT?
That's your local ream championship?

Are your weekly fees for this different than what you'd normally pay?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you lose your eligibility for your HLT?
That's your local ream championship?

Are your weekly fees for this different than what you'd normally pay?

The way I understand it is that since my team is now a 9 ball team and we would in effect be changing it to an 8 ball team .

Our rules state that once you qualify for hlt you have to continue playing the next session and keep the majority of your team intact. Since our team would drop out this session and play in another division in a different format we would lose our eligibility.

I may be wrong but that is the way I understand the rules.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I understand it is that since my team is now a 9 ball team and we would in effect be changing it to an 8 ball team .

Our rules state that once you qualify for hlt you have to continue playing the next session and keep the majority of your team intact. Since our team would drop out this session and play in another division in a different format we would lose our eligibility.

I may be wrong but that is the way I understand the rules.

Wow, our league runs differently it sounds. Is this Aloha division under the same league operator? All of our divisions still play against each other for spots in Vegas and HI. Winning your division qualifies you for both. If I am in one division, I am still competing against all other divisions. Yours sounds overly complex.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
Don't do APA myself.
on my own.

Lol, APA "free vacations" are usually more expensive than buying them out right;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, our league runs differently it sounds. Is this Aloha division under the same league operator? All of our divisions still play against each other for spots in Vegas and HI. Winning your division qualifies you for both. If I am in one division, I am still competing against all other divisions. Yours sounds overly complex.

Yea same operator . It's not overly complex at all. The rules are in effect to curb sandbagging......adding stronger players late in the session to strengths your team higher than the team you qualified with....to curb players that dont play much late in the session to keep their handicap from going up etc etc.

Yes ...all our division do play each other in qualifiers for Vegas. Basically this division as i understand it is playing strictly for a trio to Hawaii and only the teams who play in this division are eligible.

What we would be doing with this team is quitting 9 ball and playing 8 ball. Basically that 9 ball team would no longer exist therefore losing our eligibility for 9 ball hlt.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, APA "free vacations" are usually more expensive than buying them out right;)

If the only reason you played apa was for the pie in the sky trip to Vegas...it could be a lot cheaper than you think.

Hypothetically here mind you.

Yearly fee....25.00

Weekly fee ...6.00 x 6 weeks a session x 3 sessions equals 108.00

Total....138.00 for a round trip ticket and a hotel for 5 nights in Vegas.
That is for team nationals. Now bear in mind its highly unlikely but it is possible

To go for singles nationals is even cheaper if you wanted to do it as a one time thing.

Yearly fee. ...25.00
Weekly fee 6.00 x 6 weeks equals 36.00
Qualifying tournament ..20.00

Total ...81.00 for a round trip ticket and a hotel for 3 nights.... not sure about how many nights for singles as i have never been for singles but did qualify once. Just did not go due to other commitments .

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the only reason you played apa was for the pie in the sky trip to Vegas...it could be a lot cheaper than you think.

Hypothetically here mind you.

Yearly fee....25.00

Weekly fee ...6.00 x 6 weeks a session x 3 sessions equals 108.00

Total....138.00 for a round trip ticket and a hotel for 5 nights in Vegas.
That is for team nationals. Now bear in mind its highly unlikely but it is possible

To go for singles nationals is even cheaper if you wanted to do it as a one time thing.

Yearly fee. ...25.00
Weekly fee 6.00 x 6 weeks equals 36.00
Qualifying tournament ..20.00

Total ...81.00 for a round trip ticket and a hotel for 3 nights.... not sure about how many nights for singles as i have never been for singles but did qualify once. Just did not go due to other commitments .

If you're the type of player who thinks they deserve to get their fees back then you might feel it is expensive. If you don't mind paying the cost of a drink and a half for cheap entertainment every week then the Vegas and Hawaii tournaments are a bonus.

For me, Vegas isn't really a win since from where I am a vegas trip s already dirt cheap. If I was on the other side of the country it'd be different. Hawaii tournament already feels like a win regardless of how we do in the tournament. It s a fre Hawaiian vacation.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're the type of player who thinks they deserve to get their fees back then you might feel it is expensive. If you don't mind paying the cost of a drink and a half for cheap entertainment every week then the Vegas and Hawaii tournaments are a bonus.

For me, Vegas isn't really a win since from where I am a vegas trip s already dirt cheap. If I was on the other side of the country it'd be different. Hawaii tournament already feels like a win regardless of how we do in the tournament. It s a fre Hawaiian vacation.

My thought exactly and you said it better than what I was trying to convey.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to move my team to this format for the sole purpose of trying to win a trio to Hawaii. As I said earlier I dont play league for the purpose of getting money back or a "free " trip.

As I said I already pls on other teams that have qualified for tri cups in both 8 and 9 ball ...along with this team I am thinking of moving to this new format. I just thought about increasing the odds of maybe getting lucky in if I dont win one I may win the other.

At the same time I am kind of hesitant about moving this team because ....granted we may not be the strongest 9 ball team out there we have managed to beat the team that went to Vegas last year in the last 2 playoffs we have played.....managing to eliminate them from qualifying so far this year. That tells me we have a decent team and as long as no one folds under pressure I like our chances of going all the way.

As for Vegas ...i have been there and dine that as they say . Again ...its not my sole purpose of playing apa though.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....Also, every player on the team must play at least twice in the tournament. So there is a fair bit of strategy...

The Aloha challenge tournament is at Hawaiian Brian's on Oahu, and this year there will be 28 mainland teams, and 4 island teams. $16,000 in prizes.

Just FYI:
Each of the (7 minimum) players on your roster must play at least 3 times; not 2 as mentioned.

7 players minimum on the roster
(I would cap it at 7...it helps)

It's a modified round robin on 9'

goombavskoopa

Registered

lorider,

We have an aloha division out here in Connecitcut. it works differently out here though. We have it during the summer session and then have LTC just like 8 and 9 ball Vegas divisions. during the regular sessions (fall and spring) we have two tournaments for the trip to hawaii. It's basically get the best 5 players you know and hope for the best. You put up each player blind against one another and at the end the winning team wins the trip.