Thread: How much Shim?
View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap05 View Post
most of the slate is sitting maybe an 1/8th inch off the frame or more. Should i have had to use that much shim?

How important is the curve if I end up being non matching?
Are you referring to one of the slates? or all 3 slates? With many of these tables, it is common for the frames to sag in the middle. It may require very thick shims, to get the slates level. However, the ends of the frame should be mostly in contact with the slates.

Ideally, you would have the grind curvature facing the same direction for all 3 slates, as the slates were ground in this fashion, as a complete set. However, This has very little impact on the finished product, if all 3 slates are level. Don't sweat it.

Again, if the table is level, the thickness of the shims that you used won't matter much. Perhaps you could have gotten the frame a bit more level before you started, which would have netted less shims under the slates. But really, not a huge issue. Don't sweat it.

Geoff Bradshaw
Bradshaw Billiard Service

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.