Pandemic Table Leveling.

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the current pandemic, I am thinking of trying to install and level the GC3 I trailered here to KCMO myself. Not my preferred solution. I got the frame down to the lower level and assembled and leveled it. Just need to work up the courage to hand truck the three slate slabs down stairs and get them on the table.

A few questions

• I have decided I want to go with bees wax to join the slates. Blue vs regular yellow bees wax? Any benefits one over the other?
  • I think I would like to crazy glue the slates with the paper shims between the slabs. Index card thickness? Printer paper thickness?
  • Is the starrett-98-6 6" level long enough to do a decent job of leveling the slate? I have longer carpenter levels as well and a good 24" straight edge

Thanks for your thoughts. I would much rather have a pro do it but it looks like this situation in missouri is going to last longer than in other states. Getting through this with a functional pool table would be sweet. :)

Last edited:

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found some posts on the paper for super glue question, so I got that covered. Comments on the other two would be appreciated. Thanks

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you lay your Starret onto a longer level..a metal carpenter's will work...with a razor blade under each end of the longer level, that will make the Starret "think" it's longer. I've used pieces of paper towel between the slates as they're absorbent and makes the CA glue wick down into them. Mitch

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. So a 6" on the longer carpenters level might be long enough to get by with? Glen mentions an 8". 6" is less money and I am figuring I will never use it again once this situation is past and I can use a real table mechanic.
I think I saw Jerimy or Jack Zimmerman mention paper towels too. Thanks

If you lay your Starret onto a longer level..a metal carpenter's will work...with a razor blade under each end of the longer level, that will make the Starret "think" it's longer. I've used pieces of paper towel between the slates as they're absorbent and makes the CA glue wick down into them. Mitch

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've heard of placing a precision level on top of a carpenters level to level the frame, but not the slate.

I'm not a professional table mechanic but my thought on the shorter level is yes it will do the job but it might drive you more batty getting everything to agree. If your slate has imperfections, in my mind a longer level sort of averages them out. If that makes sense.

My mechanic used tissue paper to wick in the CA. IMO the thinner more absorbent the better.