Is your shaft really round? Try this...you may be suprised!!!

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As we all know, in order to have any sort of radial consistency, a shaft, laminated or not, should at least have a round cross section.

Please try this test yourself, and report your findings, it is very simple.

Wrap you shaft with a piece of tissue paper, try to feel the shaft while slowly turning it. The reason why you want to feel the shaft through a piece of tissue paper is because it can eliminate friction between your finger and the wood.

If your shaft is true and round, you should not be able to feel any lump as the shaft is turned in your hand.

The cross section should be a round circle, rather than a 9 sided polygon or some weird sided shape.

Richard

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
triangular shaped shafts

nipponbilliards said:
As we all know, in order to have any sort of radial consistency, a shaft, laminated or not, should at least have a round cross section.

Please try this test yourself, and report your findings, it is very simple.

Wrap you shaft with a piece of tissue paper, try to feel the shaft while slowly turning it. The reason why you want to feel the shaft through a piece of tissue paper is because it can eliminate friction between your finger and the wood.

If your shaft is true and round, you should not be able to feel any lump as the shaft is turned in your hand.

The cross section should be a round circle, rather than a 9 sided polygon or some weird sided shape.

Richard
I was at valley forge in 03 and there was a guy that had a booth promoting shafts that were actually triangular shaped. Believe it or not the shafts felt ok . LOL i just dont think i could play a whole set with those weird things.