Psr

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
scott i didnt want to hijack your thread so ill give you my experience if it helps at all
i took some lessons and want to thank mark avalon, tony in md,and paul fannin for their help
not in any order of significance
using a psr helped me become more consistent (see my 2 cents advice in your thread)
i could spread 7 balls on a table and run out consistently ( at least more frequently) with ball in hand
i had my first ( and several since) break and run out in 9 ball in 40 years
all of a sudden i started jawing balls and missing shots i shouldnt
(the good news is at least the line i wanted for the cue ball was accurate)
what i realized was this
i got lazy and saw the shot and next shot as i walked around the table and just got down and shot it
no psr
my eye pattern changed (focused on the cue ball last)
i was focusing on position and not the shot

when i went back to
aim spin speed away from the table
and set pause fire when down on the table
and ill add focusing on object ball contact point when cue was still
and cue tip placement when doing warm up strokes
and looking at cue ball last and staying down until the cue ball hit the object ball
my ball pocketing and position play came back to where it was:)
im still doing my drills
and have alot of precision to strive for
but thats my story
dont know if that helps you
i hope so
for my own help
all you instructors please critique what im doing
im always open to suggestions
:)

Last edited:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, just saw this.

I know all of the theories and what should go into a PSR, but always good to see it reinforced, or maybe described in other ways. I think my issue is just settling on the right rhythm and number of strokes, and integrating eye patterns into that rhythm.

I've played well fast, 2 or 3 stroking the ball and pause and shoot, and played well slow, taking 4 - 6 slower practice strokes and pausing more at the ball or at the transition. Some days one feels better, some days another. I don't know if I should just embrace that, or force myself through practice/drills to settle on one rhythm only.

I also get lazy with my eye patterns. I feel like I pick up the line while standing, then when getting down on the ball I put too much focus on the cue ball and forget to look up at the OB and really focus in on my aim spot or line. I can run racks like this no problem, but I think because I'm playing less I need more conscious focus on aiming and not just letting it happen so loosely. That's how I catch myself if I fiddle too much getting down where I take myself slightly out of alignment, or feel crunched up and not fluid and straight, etc. But when I consciously focus on my eye patterns, I feel like I'm playing too slow. I'm not, but it feels that way.

So I have this constant battle lately between fast and loose (to a point) and slow and methodical. I don't know which suits my game/personality better, there are pros and cons to both approaches. And I may start out slow, but may "feel it" and start speeding up, and not sure if I should let that happen or not.

Like the other 4 or 5 "big" questions I've always had, these kinds of things can sometimes get in my head and take focus away from what I should be doing. Just like in golf, when I finally reached a point where I was pretty happy with my swing, I was able to focus most of my energy on course management and shot shape instead of worrying about bending my wrist a certain way or keeping my weight somewhere etc. I feel like once this "freeing" movement happens in pool for me, like it did before I took so much time off, my confidence will truly come back, I'll see my game the way others do, and my game will improve that little bit to where I will feel like I belong with the top players in the area. Someday...

Scott