question on stance...

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I noticed this weekend that when I'm ready to take a shot, I'm standing so close to the table that when I take my stance, I step away from the table with my right foot (i'm a right-handed player), leaving my left pretty much where it was.

I was experimenting with doing it the other way: staying far enough from the table that I would "step into" the shot with my left foot, leaving my right planted where it is. (My feet aren't cemented in place, I adjust a little when I'm down.)

While down on a shot, I could tell which way I had taken my stance and if I had stepped away, I would get up and restart the whole process.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time? Did I just start correcting a problem I didn't consciously realize I even had?

Thanks
-matthew

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed this weekend that when I'm ready to take a shot, I'm standing so close to the table that when I take my stance, I step away from the table with my right foot (i'm a right-handed player), leaving my left pretty much where it was.

I was experimenting with doing it the other way: staying far enough from the table that I would "step into" the shot with my left foot, leaving my right planted where it is. (My feet aren't cemented in place, I adjust a little when I'm down.)

While down on a shot, I could tell which way I had taken my stance and if I had stepped away, I would get up and restart the whole process.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time? Did I just start correcting a problem I didn't consciously realize I even had?

Thanks
-matthew

No one has responded so I'll give it a shot.

I use my cue to get about 5' away from the cue ball. I'm 6' 2" so I need a lot of room to bend over.

Standing directly behind the shot line my right foot stays planted my left foot moves out to about a 45 deg angle (the left foot is also facing forward into the table) The upper part of my body (shoulders) are rotated until the tip of my right shoulder is also inline with the shot line. It will help when lining up on the shot line that you also keep your chin inline with the shot line.

Steps:

1. Determine the hit spot on the OB.
2. Moving your body right or left of the cue ball to the hit spot on the OB line up your chin with this line.
3. Still standing (approx 5' from the cue ball - depending on your height) leave your right foot planted. Move your left foot out to about a 45 deg angle (this should be a comfortable move)
4. Twist the upper part of your body (right shoulder) until the tip of your shoulder is inline with the shot line.
5. Bend over into the shot line.

This all may seem like quite a lot thats why I put it into steps. Take it one step at a time. After a few weeks of praciticing you will automatically do it and wont have to think about the individual steps.

I'm not an instructor. Have fun.

John

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I advocate standing about 4-5 feet from the table when lining up your shot, then stepping in. To give a bit of a visual, depending on the lighting tables will create a shadow that extends roughly 4 feet from it. You're thinking should take place outside of the shadow as well.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
No one has responded so I'll give it a shot.

I use my cue to get about 5' away from the cue ball. I'm 6' 2" so I need a lot of room to bend over.

Standing directly behind the shot line my right foot stays planted my left foot moves out to about a 45 deg angle (the left foot is also facing forward into the table) The upper part of my body (shoulders) are rotated until the tip of my right shoulder is also inline with the shot line. It will help when lining up on the shot line that you also keep your chin inline with the shot line.

Steps:

1. Determine the hit spot on the OB.
2. Moving your body right or left of the cue ball to the hit spot on the OB line up your chin with this line.
3. Still standing (approx 5' from the cue ball - depending on your height) leave your right foot planted. Move your left foot out to about a 45 deg angle (this should be a comfortable move)
4. Twist the upper part of your body (right shoulder) until the tip of your shoulder is inline with the shot line.
5. Bend over into the shot line.

This all may seem like quite a lot thats why I put it into steps. Take it one step at a time. After a few weeks of praciticing you will automatically do it and wont have to think about the individual steps.

I'm not an instructor. Have fun.

John

Thanks! I'll give this work.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matthew, I think that our approach is one of the most important aspects of our game. It will either help us to set up properly on a shot, or it will hurt us.

I also think that your experimenting and exploring various ways to approach your shot is absolutely great! It means you are thinking in the right direction. You may not find it right away. But keep at it and something will click. It can be slightly different for everyone.

For me, I like to stand back pretty far from the table to visualize the shot. Then I take a fairly large step forward on the line of the shot with my right foot (I'm right handed). Then I place my left foot approx. 1/2 step in front of my right, and minimum shoulder width away. However, on big shots where I really need to swing the cue, I find that placing my left foot one full foot ahead of my right (shoulder width apart) works.

I didn't arrive at this overnight. It took a lot of experimenting. Keep at it and you will find what works for you.