Pool Stuff II

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Johnston City story... Not sure about the original author;

Another story saved from either newsgroup r.s.b or from Billiards Digest ‘Cue Chalk Board’ forum.

I was around 18 years old and had won about $1000 playing poker in 1970 when we decided to go to Johnson City pool tournament. I was a pool nut and still am and for a 18 year old kid with a grand in his pocket back in those days I had the best time I have ever had. All the great players were there. Incardona,Hall,Sigel,Hubbart,Marino,Reid,Beanie,Devaluae,Sizemore, and so many more I just can't name them all. Anyway there was nonstop action the whole time I was there.

Cole Dickson was giving up plenty of weight and was robbing these guys. In the green room I saw more action in a week than I ever seen since then. Greatest time I had in my life.

Sigel was 17 years old then and was flying back and forth from home in NY in between matches and gambling to attend high school.

Larry Hubbart was giving Sizemore the 7 for $10000 a set back then and Sizemore had him stuck real bad. Don't know the outcome of that match but I know he busted Larry and Larry had to call somebody to send him some more money to play with.

Watched Buddy Hall give Buttermilk the 8 for a $100 a game and Buttermilk beat him 10 in a row and Buddy finally won a game and Buttermilk pulled up on him and told Buddy that he shot to straight for him and everybody in the joint thought that Buddy was gonna kill him.

I saw Cole Dickson playing Hubert Cokes one pocket and was spotting him 10-7 and they had a stack of money 6 inches high piled up on the lights. Cole took it down. I don't know how many of you ever saw Cole play when he was young but man he could swing it.

(from George Fels)
They haven't played meaningful pool there in
thirty years (although Buddy Hall's home
town of Metropolis, where a fine tournament
was held recently, is within an hour).
Closest thing to it today, I'd say, is the
Derby City Classic, the basic difference
being that the players don't sport the same
kind of colorful nicknames. In the inaugural
Johnston City tournament, which was
one-pocket only, only Joe Procita of the 14
official entrants ever competed without a
monicker, although he was sometimes called
Iron Joe for no apparent reason.

George...
You are quite right that the first Johnston City tournament in 1961 was merely a 1P event which was won by Johnny Vivos. I presume that Joe Procita got his nickname from being tough as nails on his opponents. LOL

Funny, that in the "Information Age" there is so little actual information concerning even major pool events of years gone by.

So, to do my own little part, I'm posting below the results from the other Johnston City years for anybody interested in seeing them:

Johnston City World All Around Champions
1962:
1P: Marshall Carpenter
9-Ball: Luther Lassiter
14.1: Luther Lassiter
All Around: Luther Lassiter

1963:
1P: Eddie Taylor

1964:
1P: Eddie Taylor
All Around: Eddie Taylor

1965:
1P: Larry Johnston
9-Ball: Harold Worst
14.1: Harold worst
All Around: Harold Worst

1966:
1P: Eddie Kelly
9-Ball: Eddie Kelly
14.1: Joe Balsis
All Around: Joe Balsis

1967:
1P: Larry Johnson
14.1: Irving Crane

1968:
1P: Larry Johnson
9-Ball: Danny Jones
14.1: Al Coslosky
All Around: Danny Jones

1969:
1P: Luther Lassiter
14.1: Joe Russo

1970:
1P: Ronnie Allen
9-Ball: Keith Thompson
All Around: Keith Thompson

1971:
1P: Jim Rempe
9-Ball: Jimmy Marino
All Around: Jimmy Marino

1972:
1P: Larrry Johnson
9-Ball: Billy Incardona
14.1: Danny Diliberto
All Around: Danny Diliberto

Maybe someone else has the results for the Stardust Open All Around which ran from 1965 to 1973, which, I believe, the Jansco Brothers also promoted, and might want to post them here as well.

It's a real shame that even on the BCA official website there is hardly any historical information on pool tournaments which THEY ran.

I would think that someone in the industry would try to gather and collect as much of that material as possible on some pool site, but so far I haven't seen it. Of course, maybe I just missed it surfing, and would be pleasantly surprised if that was the case. - Howie