one-sided game

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so I screwed up my bridge hand, hopefully not for too long, but meanwhile, I gotta get my fix, right?
I've shot one-handed a few balls, a few fun games, but always on a lark, never because that was my only option.
tonight I shot that way, because it was my only option..and it was interesting.
I actually shot pretty good, made a lot of balls, straight-in no prob, banks were fun, and cuts, I think it almost felt easier shooting those than when I'm with two hands!
and this is why, I think.
one-handed, I felt forced to stand up when shooting.
normally, I get right down on the cue, snooker- style. I like shooting that way, it comes to me naturally, and it seems to work ok.
but tonight, having the bird's eye view of everything really made me feel comfortable in a way I haven't been used to.
like I said, on most shots, but especially on tight cuts, it felt like I could see where I wanted to hit the object ball a lot better, than when I'm down on the cue.
this said, getting position was tough one-handed. and I think that's a big reason why I like getting down on the cue, so I can see where I'm hitting the cue ball, for position's sake.
but just for visualizing where to contact the object ball, having a macro look at everything really seemed to help.
I should add that before this, when the cue ball and object ball are very close, I often stand up more when I shoot. again, always kind of done this naturally-
it seems obvious, and I guess I kind of knew it before, but now, I really know why :)

anybody relate? learn anything from shooting, holding your...keys?:D

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top snooker player Mark Williams plays a few one handed shots in matches.
It's mainly 2 cushion shots.
He says he can see the angles easier.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Top snooker player Mark Williams plays a few one handed shots in matches.
It's mainly 2 cushion shots.
He says he can see the angles easier.

What? Why would he have to play one-handed to see the angles better? Why wouldn’t he just come up off the cue a bit?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one handed is great practice
now is a time to use the bridge if you can

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Sometimes if I’m being lazy I’ll stand way up like it’s the 50s to shoot in an easy shot and I’ll miss it by a diamond or 3 lol. Occasionally I can make a shot from high up if I really concentrate but that birds eye view is not for me. There are times where I’ll pop my head up for more information but then before I shoot I need to lower back down to familiar territory. It’s just so odd shooting from way up. Even playing one handed I get down low and smoosh the cue between table and chest to keep it steady