Karsh to Barki letter re USBA and UMB

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a lot of folks here may not be on Darrell Martineau's Billiards Buddies list and will not have seen this:

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 11:58 AM
To: farouk.barki@umb-carom.org
Subject: UNITED STATES BILLIARDK ASSOCIATION

Mr. Farouk Barki

President, Union Mondiale De Billard

Farouk,

I have been out of touch and when I looked up the UMB on the internet to write this letter, lo and behold, your name came up as President. As you may, or may not know, organized billiards in the U.S.—at least in my estimation—is about to go the way of the Do Do bird (extinct). All of the politics as well as changing social dynamics that brought us to this situation are really beside the point and are a discussion for another day. What is important is how we proceed in trying to keep the USBA alive and hopefully to progress beyond what has been experienced over the last several years. Based on our small number of members, we have always been a minor part of the UMB but, none the less, we have been the engine—under the umbrella of the UMB—that has kept organized billiards operating in the United States.

This brings me to my first issue: the USBA as part of the Pan American Confederation. I will discuss this later in this correspondence.

You and I have both spent a great part of our lives in promoting billiards, not only in our respective countries, but throughout the world. You and I, together, were instrumental in stopping Dr. Bayer and the BWA from becoming the controlling body for billiards. I worked out a compromise with Jean Graus to reinstall the UMB Board after they resigned because of our vote to stop Dr. Bayer from becoming an equal member of the UMB and then Dr. Bayer did not live up to his commitment that he made with the organization. In either regard, that is past history. What is important is how we go forward and that is the reason for this letter and hopefully the assistance of the UMB. I need your help and the help of the World billiard organization.

Mazin Shooni, the current president of the USBA has said that he is leaving after the first of the year. The organization has not followed the “Constitution” that was approved by the membership for many years and for the current election—if there will be one—they have asked for volunteers to be on the Board and the Board will then select one of the Board Members to be the President.

I have not been asked to do the following so this may all be in vain. I have no real desire to be president again (for the fourth time); however, I also don’t want to see its demise and/or be abandoned by just a select group of people who make up their own rules. What I would like to do is reconstruct the USBA based on its Constitution as voted by the membership. The first order of business of a selected group (past Presidents and Board Members) would be to run a legitimate election (and I am certain that I can entice people who are willing to work—not just offer lip service—to make this a viable organization). I have one condition, however, assuming I can get past some of the personal sentiment of people who would not want me at the helm again—even on an interim basis—is that the UMB reinstate the organization as its own Confederation of the UMB. The Pan American Confederation offers us nothing and provides no status to us and the only function is a “Pan American Championship” that could still be run by the two Confederations together, rather than one. If the UMB will make such a concession (and with the approval of the majority of the members), I will be willing to put in the time and effort (and probably the necessary money) to keep the USBA a viable entity. On the other hand, I have no desire to do so without the UMB’s endorsement and this concession and the approval of the membership.

As always, dear friend, I hope this finds you and your family well. I wish you and your family the best for the holiday season and the New Year.

Jerry

P.S. My wife, Nan, also sends her regards. She still talks about our time in Egypt and how gracious you were to us.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
not to hijack your thread
but might i inqure, to anyone that may know, of what exactly this was about?
the highlighted part at the bottom

08 Sep 2004 11:30:15
Mark B. VanLiere
The good old USBA

I just received the following:

>>
Today, September 9th,2004, I got a call from Mr. Jerry Karsh telling me
that as the USBA National Champion I am qualified to represent USA in the
UMB World Championship to be play next month in Holland, but he also told
me that the USBA ,due to economic problems, is not able to help me in any
ways. The news surprised me because in the pass years i did represented
USA, always counting with the full support of the USBA, I had the honor of
representing USA first in UMB World Championship 2001 in Luxemburg, again
in the UMB Teams World Championship 2002 in Germany and also I did
represent USA in the UMB World Championship 2002 in Denmark, always with
the economical support of the USBA (different administration). Last year,
2003, USA had no representation in the UMB World Championship played in
Spain because the USBA did not had money to help just one player.

This year, 2004, USA will have no representation in the UMB World
Championship witch is the most important tournament of the international
calendar for the same problem, no money. I think this concern all of us.

Best regards
Pedro Piedrabuena
>>

Different administration, indeed. I'm sure Jerry has the best interests of
billiards in mind, just as he did a few years ago when he barred all
"Korean" players from playing in his Denver tournaments.

Mark

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.sport.billiard/The_good_old_USBA_2999.html

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't imagine why you would dredge up a 14 year old post from someone we've never heard of to undermine a guy who is trying to keep organized 3C alive in the US.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
The person youve never heard of i will make a semi educated guess is azbilliards memeber mbvl

I was asking for clarity on a seemingly negative thing to do from someone as you say wants to save organized 3c in the usa

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah we get it, you are stirring up $#it. You have made your opinion of 3C abundantly clear here.

If you were sincere and knew who the guy is, as you apparently do, you could have PMed him to satisfy your curiosity.

I don't know what did or did not happen 14 years ago, but I've known Jerry slightly for a couple of years. On a couple of occasions he has come up to our senior center with a 3C player named John, who was called Korean John, so John could practice for the Carom Cafe tournament. Jerry was also instrumental in getting our senior center our second heated 3c table. Byrnes thought enough of him to ask him for a cover blurb for his book.

You're trying to build something with the small games, and no one is going around posting negative things about you to undermine your effort. And I will remind you of a brief PM exchange you and I had not that long ago when you mistakenly thought I knew something about table mechanics and sent me a question. You should treat other people as fairly as you've been treated.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
My opinion on 3c is merely its not for me, not my game, its more popular than what i like will ever be
but i care not for whats popular, another rant for another time
Ya its hard as shit,ya i suck at everything i play
What do you want me to say, ive got no ego

I was watching the ceulemans cup at work today
But my focus and soul is in the humble classic games, so much that i attempted to bring classic caroms to the attention of the houston pool playing community and everywhere billiard forum online that i could
crickets i tell ya...

Or small[easy] as most would put it

Yep i remember the pm, its been payed btw , ask him
Shit happens i handled wrong i can admit that
, but its been taken care of, not like its your business to dangle it over my head for the forum
i remember what i told both of them, they wont

I dont knkw karsh or mbvl

Ive posted nothing negative, mbvl hasnt either, he merely recalled what mr karsh had done, and maybe it wasnt meant negatively , hence my inquiry

Is my inquiry so wrong?

Fyi, im not building anything, americans want nothing to do with classic caroms so that time is over

If youd like to discuss it further, attempt to change my mind, , pm me and ill give you my number,
Me and you seem to see things very differently

If we can id smooth things over, if not, it is what it is

Last edited: