FARGORATE for Leagues

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a national league could work using Fargorate for the handi-capping. Maybe the games shouldn't go to big races, but for how many games on the wire. But I would advocate that the "weaker" player get the edge on the wire (if the better player needs 9 to the weaker players 6 the race would be 3 - 5).

Just a thought as there is a "viable" handi-capping system publically available with Fargorate...

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USAPL is a National league using Fargo.

Find match odds by plugging in the respective player ratings.
https://fairmatch.fargorate.com/

Yeah USAPL is growing pretty rapidly. All the scoring is done with a mobile APP, and the games go right into FargoRate.

Here is, at least for 8-Ball, the way it works. Instead of a 5 to 3 race, it is a race to points. And you can use this calculator to see the race: http://usaplraceto.azurewebsites.net/ . For a 575 playing a 507, for example, it is an 86 to 65 race. You earn 14 points for each game win and the loser earns the number of balls pocketed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.11.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.11.33 AM.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 244

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah USAPL is growing pretty rapidly. All the scoring is done with a mobile APP, and the games go right into FargoRate.

Here is, at least for 8-Ball, the way it works. Instead of a 5 to 3 race, it is a race to points. And you can use this calculator to see the race: http://usaplraceto.azurewebsites.net/ . For a 575 playing a 507, for example, it is an 86 to 65 race. You earn 14 points for each game win and the loser earns the number of balls pocketed.

I've never been a big fan of the point systems for handi-capping. Leads to weaker players not learning how to run the balls out, only "Cherry Picking"...

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been a big fan of the point systems for handi-capping. Leads to weaker players not learning how to run the balls out, only "Cherry Picking"...

We've actually paid a fair amount of attention to this issue because FargoRate assumes the players motivation is to win the game, and when the rules alter that too much, we won't want the games.

So we won't take, say 9-ball where you count the balls. And we won't take 8-Ball where there are points for balls made to the loser and just essentially a one-point bonus available to the winner.

But we've done a lot of analysis of historical data from league using 10-point scoring (essentially 3 points for the 8-Ball) compared to just 8-ball games like in a tournament. And we find no measurable difference. Sure we can all point to the occasional game where a player needs 3 points to win the round and so knocks in a breakout ball prioritizing winning the round over winning the game. But I suppose over the long haul, there is a balancing time you benefited because your opponent did that. In any case, the 3-point bonus in 10-point scoring or the 7-point win bonus here seems overall sufficient when we analyze the data.