Cement floor covering help

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently moved and I'm setting up my pool room in my pole barn. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive way to protect the occasional ball coming off the table and bouncing on the cement. It's a pole barn so I'm not looking to get fancy since it will still function as my large garage. Just want to section off a space for a table and have some protection surrounding the table.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I just recently moved and I'm setting up my pool room in my pole barn. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive way to protect the occasional ball coming off the table and bouncing on the cement. It's a pole barn so I'm not looking to get fancy since it will still function as my large garage. Just want to section off a space for a table and have some protection surrounding the table.
Thanks!

Couple ways i'd recommend:

Square linoleum or vinyl stick on tiles. You could Border the outside of the table?

What i'm a fan of is cork flooring, very nice to walk on and great for the back if you play long sessions. You can get it in squares or by the roll.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Walmart, Sams, ...gray interlock squares work great in my cellar not under the table feet.. Easy on the feet play for hours.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Thats one drawback of the ceramic tile floor in my pool room. While the stuff is indestructible, if a ball comes off the table, it bounces like a superball!! It doesn't harm anything, but you're usually having to chase them down. I would heed the carpet recommendation. I considered oriental throws strategically placed in my room to avoid the same issue.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carpet stores usually have deals on remnants, and you might be able to score decent used carpet from one of their installers.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These threads always make me think of Jeff Foxworthy...sorry couldn't help myself

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Square linoleum or vinyl stick on tiles. You could Border the outside of the table?

I used heavy duty floating vinyl floor panels (1'x3') that join at the edges, but they were not inexpensive. Paid over $600 for a 14' x 22' room. Just using a border around the table will only protect the balls on the first bounce, after that they will hit the cement for sure. I've had balls bounce all the way out into the adjacent room (which is just bare cement), and I don't jump balls or even hit them that hard.

I like the cork flooring idea best, and I might do that if I ever build another home room (highly unlikely). The vinyl over cement gets to my back after an hour or so. Back pain is the single biggest thing that prevents me from practicing long enough to continue to improve.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carpet Squares

here is my reply for that problem. I was worried about breaking a tile

Attachments

• Pool Table.jpg
    Pool Table.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 297

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Unless your pole barn is climate-controlled like the inside of a house, I'd avoid carpet. Cement/concrete absorbs moisture like a sponge and you'll eventually have mold and mildew; that doesn't bother some people, but to others it's almost deadly.

Regardless of what you choose your first step should be to seal the floor with epoxy paint. I'd choose LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) because it's comfortable to walk on for extended periods and nearly indestructible.

Ccarroll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used indoor/outdoor hybrid carpet without padding. It works great. That kind of carpet is made with moisture barrier properties. I covered an 15x19 space for roughly $ 170
Also taped it down with double sided carpet tape.

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Thanks!

Bottom line, the easiest and least expensive solution is... WATER! I estimate just a couple of inches to be all that's needed. :thumbup: