what would you do

kyle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this layout in a tourny this weekend, (7 ball goes past the 9) I chose to run the 3 very easy balls when I was done nearly everyone asked why I didn't play the carom. Hope it's not a stupid question both outs are fairly easy but what would you folks do?

Attachments

• carom or run.jpg
    carom or run.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 101

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
I would choose the run out. I rarely take the 9 like that unless I'm really down in a match.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I can't really see how far the 9 is in the hole...but looks like it doesn't go easily on the carom. I would of run em...well...tried to run em at least.

Shorty

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
kyle said:
Had this layout in a tourny this weekend, (7 ball goes past the 9) I chose to run the 3 very easy balls when I was done nearly everyone asked why I didn't play the carom. Hope it's not a stupid question both outs are fairly easy but what would you folks do?

If it goes past, then no reason for the carom. If it is impossible to miss the carom, then get it over with. Not a big deal, what you did was fine. Do not forget though, you could mis-cue or get a skid on the 8 also and you would have wished you played the carom.

I would have done what you did in this case.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
kyle said:

Kyle,

You did the smart thing. There was no guarantee on the 7-9 carom.

"Trenton Marty" Ciccia taught me to go for a 9-ball carom only if it's a better percentage shot than running the table. And he meant a really screwed up table.

Barbara

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should have kicked the 7 in going 1 rail with the cueball and ran out, you would have looked cool and that's all that matters.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I would have too ...

With the positioning on the table, the 7 looks
below the 9 and the 9 almost on the long rail,
so it would be no easy carom at all.

Absolutely would have gone for the run.
When you are sure of 1, and not entirely sure
of the other, always take the sure bet.

Same type thing arises now and then with like
3-5 balls left, but with a possible combo on the 9.
If the run is not hard or too difficult, take the run
because that combo can be missed rather easily unless
it is sitting in the hole. And players practice running
balls a whole lot more than practicing combos.