Here Are Your 2007 Mosconi Cup Teams

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
My take on this has always been to allow any kind of break. If the soft break makes it so much easier then why can't all of the complainers master it? The fact is this: all the people that complain about the soft break simply didn't figure out first that it makes the patterns easier and a repeatable break pattern can be advantageous if someone masters it. All of the oppenents of the soft break are very hard breakers and have always enjoyed an advantage because of their break. Now that Corey revolutionized the soft break, everyone practices that break more and can neutralize someone that has a better hard break. Corey told me he practiced that break thousands and thousands of times noting where each ball went and how the patterns fell. How in the world can you knock someone for getting better at something and finding a legal way to win more often?

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
JAM said:
This year at the WPC, if you didn't master the soft break, the rest of your pool-shooting skills went out the window. Again, the Bustie versus Alex match is a case in point!

JAM

I once asked Shannon Daulton who had the best break and he said hands down Bustamante. If you watch some of his old videos, he broke the balls so hard it was amazing. The fact that he utilized the soft break because it was more effective is a testament to his skills and intelligence. I've seen some of the hard breakers refuse to use the soft break because of ego and they have suffered over the last few years because it is simply not the best way to win in nine ball now.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UGA330 said:
Can someone explain to me why Rodney Morris is always on the team. I cannot recall one event this year that he was competitive. Stevie Moore for example did win some events and finished high in many events. It would be nice to see the Mosconi Team be filled by people that did something the same year. SVB deserves it for sure. Corey Duel deserves it. The rest of the team is questionable!!!!

JMO

It's like when the USA basketball team would send Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, etc. to play in the Olympics. Send the tried and true with some rookies. I know this is not the best analogy but that is all I could come up with!LOL:D :confused:

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Rodney Morris...

Rodney was selected for the Mosconi Cup for his record in this event. He has the highest winning percentage out of anyone that has played in this event for the US. Why take someone out who does so well for your country, even if he hasn't put up tournament results recently....

UGA330

Registered
It should be done as it is done in golf. A points based picking system. Rodney Morris has really not done anything recently in my memory, nor has Earl. I just think we could do a better job of picking based on performance throughout the year than this.

UGA330

Registered
In my opinion, Earl has not represented America well. There is no reason why a team should have to put up with his antics. Personally, I would like to see some new blood on the team. Just no reason for Earl or Rodney on the team. America is full of strong talent that would represent America in a positive way.

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I think Stevie Moore, Louis Ulrich, Shannon Daulton,and Larry Nevel, as evidenced by their very recent tournament wins, would complement TEAM USA's other members, but there can only be six players. So it is what it is.

JAM

I totally agree with you JAM when it comes to Larry being on Team USA. But why would people look at a record like this for the year and think that he could play at all. I mean come on, he finished 52nd in the DCC banks event! Why would anyone want someone that did so bad there on Team USA?!?! LOL. And this list doesn't have every tourney he's played in either, there have been like two that he didn't make the money and like five more that he won and aren't listed! LOL. I suppose it would be tough to pick someone that doesn't play every big event and just plays an event pretty much every weekend (and does very well) over people that won't even gamble with him...i.e. SVB! And p.s. to everyone, I respect SVB's game, I just don't see why he's refused to gamble with Larry every time he's been approached. Oh, Archer backed out of a game that was setup between him and Larry too. Just saying.

2007 Winnings: $25,960.00

2007 Tournament Results:

$100.00 - 9th - Derby City Classic Straight Pool Challenge
$200.00 - 52nd - Derby City Classic Bank Pool Event
$1,725.00 - 7th - Derby City Classic 9-Ball Event
$500.00 - 4th - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$2,200.00 - 1st - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$2,000.00 - 7th - Gabriels Open Professional Players Championship
$2,000.00 - 1st - Great Southern Tour Stop
$1,000.00 - 17th - enjoypool.com 9-Ball Championship Mens Division
$1,250.00 - 4th - Bill Staton Memorial
$1,450.00 - 1st - Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Event
$550.00 - 3rd - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$220.00 - 5th - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$30.00 - 7th - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$1,710.00 - 1st - Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Event
$255.00 - 5th - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$50.00 - 7th - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$1,220.00 - 2nd - Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$1,250.00 - 2nd - Carolina Open One Pocket Division
$2,500.00 - 9th - US Open 9-Ball Championship
$200.00 - 7th - Viking Cues Southern Classic Open 8-Ball Division
$3,150.00 - 1st - Southern Classic Open One Pocket Division
$1,600.00 - 1st - Planet Pool Tour Stop Open Division
$800.00 - 2nd - Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Open Division

Last edited:

BreakersOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Earl started on the Mosconi Cup Team in '96 I think the USA's record is 10-1, since it started in 94 the USA is 11-2 and since Rodney started in 2003 they are 4-0, I think the guys that pick the team are doing good for the USA and in my opinion if it not broke why fix it?

Sire380

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I believe the three veterans, Rodney, Archer and Earl are all there because of their track record in the event. I for one don't have a problem with any of the US's team members

Druid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney, Archer and Earl are some of the most popular names in the game. Regardless of how they perform, they will draw a lot of people who will want to watch them play for their "star appeal". I would be disappointed if any of then weren’t going to be playing and I can’t wait to be there to cheer them on!

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
vin said:
the speed gun is a great idea but in my opinion it increases the chance of someone getting hit in the head bullseye if someones going to squat in there :D
Speed guns measure speed from either direction. The official speed gun operator can stand behind the breaker.........I will personally volunteer for this task at the next Womens U.S. Open :eek: :D

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
whatever happened to john schmidt? last year he was all the rage. now no one even considers him for the team....is there something i don't know about?

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Renegade said:
whatever happened to john schmidt? last year he was all the rage. now no one even considers him for the team....is there something i don't know about?

He doesn't play much UPA sanctioned tournaments.