Ustream / Roku workaround. (Android version)

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Just looked through the old thread. This was mentioned by Cornerman but no links were given.
Not sure why I didn't try this before.
With Turning Stone coming next week I was getting anxious I guess.
Just trying to help out.
Btw I got Chrome Cast for Xmas but never opened it. I returned it.
Better to use what you already have right? $$
First: They tell you, but you definitely need a Roku or Smart TV that accepts screen mirroring.
Also requires Android 4.0 and up.
**I did download and try the Roku Casting App first. It worked great but DOES NOT WORK FOR Ustream!! They still don't get along.
Follow the steps in the links. I'll check back and help if I can.
It works great. Quality seems similar. With mirroring, texts and calls will interrupt.
Oh well.
1. Download the Screen Mirroring App on your phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=screenmirroring.abdelm.com.screenmirroring&hl=en
2.This link will take you step by step through the rest of the process.
https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-to-use-screen-mirroring-with-your-mobile-device
Happy viewing!
Casting is definitely better. Chrome Cast will get you there too.
I meant this thread as a supplement to the old one for Roku users who were bummed out after the "divorce" and wanted to use their same equipment.
I hard wired my computer into my big TV downstairs a while back. (Love that) Old school. Always works too.
I'm using the mirroring option for my small bedroom TV when I just want to load around and watch some pool!:grin:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just looked through the old thread. This was mentioned by Cornerman but no links were given.
Not sure why I didn't try this before.
With Turning Stone coming next week I was getting anxious I guess.
Just trying to help out.
Btw I got Chrome Cast for Xmas but never opened it. I returned it.
Better to use what you already have right? $$
First: They tell you, but you definitely need a Roku or Smart TV that accepts screen mirroring.
Also requires Android 4.0 and up.
**I did download and try the Roku Casting App first. It worked great but DOES NOT WORK FOR Ustream!! They still don't get along.
Follow the steps in the links. I'll check back and help if I can.
It works great. Quality seems similar. With mirroring, texts and calls will interrupt.
Oh well.
1. Download the Screen Mirroring App on your phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=screenmirroring.abdelm.com.screenmirroring&hl=en
2.This link will take you step by step through the rest of the process.
https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-to-use-screen-mirroring-with-your-mobile-device
Happy viewing!
Casting is definitely better. Chrome Cast will get you there too.
I meant this thread as a supplement to the old one for Roku users who were bummed out after the "divorce" and wanted to use their same equipment.
I hard wired my computer into my big TV downstairs a while back. (Love that) Old school. Always works too.
I'm using the mirroring option for my small bedroom TV when I just want to load around and watch some pool!:grin:

I'll probably just end up Chromecasting from the PC to TV. It is irritating (at least as far as I can see) that things such as Ustream don't have an app to run natively on my Samsung "Smart" TV. The 50 inch is a SUHD that isn't even two years old. Of course it plays its apps horribly anyways. Think the next smart tv will be either Sony or LG.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I'll probably just end up Chromecasting from the PC to TV. It is irritating (at least as far as I can see) that things such as Ustream don't have an app to run natively on my Samsung "Smart" TV. The 50 inch is a SUHD that isn't even two years old. Of course it plays its apps horribly anyways. Think the next smart tv will be either Sony or LG.
Cool. After I did set mine up I went to that old thread.
Thought it might help someone with the Roku options.
Still pissed they split with Ustream but oh well. It was seamless before.

popman

Registered
Ustream Workaround?

I have a Roku 3 using Google Chrome browser with the Roku Cast application installed. It works but the trans-coding must be HTML5. The only thing I had to do is enter the Roku IP for the Roku Cast. Then go to Ustream.tv and hit the cast selection and the PC wifi's to the Roku.

I like this setup because my remote controls it all. With Chrome cast one must use the PC to stop/pause etc.

That's all there is to it!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Roku 3 using Google Chrome browser with the Roku Cast application installed. It works but the trans-coding must be HTML5. The only thing I had to do is enter the Roku IP for the Roku Cast. Then go to Ustream.tv and hit the cast selection and the PC wifi's to the Roku.

I like this setup because my remote controls it all. With Chrome cast one must use the PC to stop/pause etc.

That's all there is to it!

Do you have to "load" a particular channel on the Roku where the stream is being cast to by the Rokucast chrome extension?