(FAQ) Should you own your own set of pool balls?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...............

Absolutely........the sets in pool halls can and very often do have mismatched pool ball weights and sizes which definitely affect the outcome of some shots.

Invest in a case and a set of pool balls........my vote is go with Centennials.........you will not be disappointed........I always keep a new set as a back-up in my closet.

Matt B.

Attachments

• pool balls & cues 005.jpg
    pool balls & cues 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 444

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Yes, especially if you have your own pool table

But seriously, I'd love to be able to have a couple sets of Cents, but if you budget won't allow for it, going with a little less quality-wise really in my opinion won't hurt much. The Cuetechs or a lesser set of the Arimiths come to mind. But to the original question, yes, if you can you should try to have you own set of balls

Last edited:

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I really want to say something funny and sarcastic, but I won't. It's really difficult to NOT say it…

I won't say it…….

AAAAAGH!

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
How will people properly know to fear you otherwise?

Everybody nowadays has their own cue.

Thank you kindly.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you do the math, it's a worthwhile investment........new sets of pool balls actually sell for less than their retail.

As an example, new sets of Centennials were last being sold on the Forum for $245....figure $15.00 shipping which is more than adequate.

After awhile, say 2 yrs, you sell the used set for $140 - $150 and you've enjoyed 2 years of pool playing experience for about a buck a week.

Obviously the condition of the set is important but if you buy a good set, any brand, you tend to take good care of the set.

A used set of Centennials in very good condition, and the set should be unless it came out of a pool hall, will command at least, and likely more than, $150 for the set right here on Az..

Why, if a set can be acquired for $245? Because the availability of new sets of Centennials at that great price do not happen all the time and it's simply a question of patience & timing to score.
Most people don't follow the availability or aren't shopping when they spot the thread but rest assured when you are ready, those sale threads are far and few between, or so it seems.
Ergo, as long as the set is in good condition like mine, selling the set is never a problem and for local sales, I've always gotten at least $175 for my used sets . I've sold three used sets so far.

Matt B.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, if you own a table. Try walking into the ph totin' your own set. You WILL get asked to play. Should be worth at least one ball. Call it the "geek spot".

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do it all the time......haven't played with a ph set of balls, except for playing in a tournament, for a really long time.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually just got a new set of Aramith Premiers with a case to take the place I play out of most as their balls are horrible. Mismatched, dirty as hell, have nicks in them and some have a flat spot from bouncing off tile or steel legs.

I will only take them during league nights to use.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I actually just got a new set of Aramith Premiers with a case to take the place I play out of most as their balls are horrible. Mismatched, dirty as hell, have nicks in them and some have a flat spot from bouncing off tile or steel legs.

I will only take them during league nights to use.

So do both teams use them for the duration of the evening, or do you only use them for your match? Which league?

Last edited:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on where you shoot. Say you have a home table for practice but also play league or tournaments. I always thought it would be a good idea to buy as many different cue balls as possible to practice with. I play league. Not only are the tables different but seems every week I am playing with a different cue ball. For me the cue ball can be the hardest to adjust to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The reason why I bought my own set of pool balls were to simulate tournament and league conditions when I practice at poolhalls that don't make equipment care a priority.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved the shiny clean Carom balls I had been playing with so much and had terrible trouble on the always different sets in my pool hall. It took about 1/2h to get settled each time...

So I got a Super Aramith Pro Cup TV set. They look better, they shine and all hits are perfectly explainable. Also I like the "cling" and how they bounce off each other.

It's very easy - get a set if you feel like it. Don't need FAQs or articles for that :grin:

Cheers!