Another Pool Room Closing...

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
https://bklyner.com/end-of-an-era-bay-ridges-hall-of-fame-billiards-club-closed-for-good/

Not sure if this has been posted but figured I would share. Sucks for many reasons. I cant imagine how a room with this much history and loads of locals cant remain operational. I know why they can't here, hell we can barely keep the IMAX theater open here. I wish Charleston had a room that was half way decent to play on 9ft tables, ever since Tuckers closed shop and Rusty passed away, the big table scene here has gone down the drain. It's sad to see another room bite the dust.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They can't fade the taxes. AFAIK they own the building but owe a lot of taxes. Not near enough income from pool/games to fade what the city/state/feds get every year.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's described on Google as "an alcohol-free setting" - wonder if that had anything to do with its demise...

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alcohol free setting? lol. Like Hard Times. You have to give the people what they want.
Hasn't HT's tried to get a alcohol permit for yrs? Does the building owner not want it or what? From what i know about JB's place its always been more of a neighborhood gameroom/hangout than anything else. I don't think they've ever had any intention/desire to have alcohol. It looks to me like the neighborhood demographic has just changed and its just time to move on. Also looks like from the pics of the place that parking is almost non-existent. I'd be selling it too if it was mine.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hasn't HT's tried to get a alcohol permit for yrs? Does the building owner not want it or what? From what i know about JB's place its always been more of a neighborhood gameroom/hangout than anything else. I don't think they've ever had any intention/desire to have alcohol. It looks to me like the neighborhood demographic has just changed and its just time to move on. Also looks like from the pics of the place that parking is almost non-existent. I'd be selling it too if it was mine.

Try? I mean idk. I owned a bar for 4 years. You just need roughly 100k. You can't survive selling gatorade, oven lamp pizza, and stale churros. (referring to HTs). I mean hardcore pool hall junkies like me, can (if need be) take a year off (maybe 2), save up all that table time money, and buy a Diamond table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try? I mean idk. I owned a bar for 4 years. You just need roughly 100k. You can't survive selling gatorade, oven lamp pizza, and stale churros. (referring to HTs). I mean hardcore pool hall junkies like me, can (if need be) take a year off (maybe 2), save up all that table time money, and buy a Diamond table.
IIRC they were denied on more than one occasion. A nearby property owner had some swing on the city council and lobbied to not allow the license.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC they were denied on more than one occasion. A nearby property owner had some swing on the city council and lobbied to not allow the license.

Mmm, right, I've heard stories for years about this landowner with sway. The truth is a full bar wouldn't help HT anyway. They allow/encourage loitering (old school pool hall way of running a business doesn't work anymore.) One thing I learned about owning a bar, you control the riff raff, or the riff raff controls you.