What you're missing out on

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received a private message from a long time AZB member I really respect. He told me a story familiar to most of us. He'd played pool most of his life without ever really having been shown the right way to do it, during a time when the world was no bigger than your local pool room and the best player in the world was the shortstop that won the last tournament and could run a couple of tables. He sounded a bit regretful things worked out the way they did, that he wasn't born in this age of information, instruction, and exposure to top play. Like he missed out. This post is my response.
So, my friend:

If you can still remember the first time you saw older guys hitting balls around the table and were captivated by the way the stripes turned over as they rolled towards the pocket.

If you have learned to love the feeling of your arm going back and forth and delivering forward in a smooth satisfying impact rewarded with a crisply struck ball that slides into the hole.

If you have been dazzled by discovering how the cue ball can be made to spin backwards or sideways or even around corners, and then even more dazzled by the fact you could learn to do those things.

If you have had afternoons with a friend melt away as you get lost in a match with your favorite music on in the background until one moment you realize you've never felt so good in your entire darn life.

If you've been in a match where you feel so much pressure the pool table looks like an alien shape from your nightmares, some type of distorted trapezoid reflection in a fun house mirror.

If you've been frustrated, defeated, and in agony, only to come with one good shot and see those emotions transform into a sublime release and transcendent play.

If you've faced opponents that make you weak in the knees and run outs that look hopeless, but have found that special spot where time slows down and and percentages no longer seem to matter.

If you've then looked up in disbelief at what just happened on the pool table that somehow seemed to have originated from your own body.

If you've had these experiences then I'm here to tell you that you haven't missed out on anything.

Oh, the details might vary. The objective difficulty of the shots involved. The number of people watching. The Fargo Rate of your opponent. The amount of money involved. But that doesn't change anything. Whether you are Josh Filler winning the World Championship or just getting into the second rack for the first time in your straight pool career, the experiences this game has to offer are the same.

I'm a big believer in improvement. I've dedicated my life to it and to helping others do the same. But it's because there is joy to me in improving and being the best I can be, not because there is a different payout for mastering a different skill level. There is nothing available to anyone at a high level that isn't available to you right here, right now.

You, my friend, didn't miss out on anything. You've had these experiences and are a lucky man. And if you find your way to a pool hall today, and please, play some good music for me...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not agree more with your thoughts. I remember playing little league baseball in the mid 1960s- our team coach was a construction guy, humble enough to say he would teach us what little he knew about the game. Sure, all of us who grew up in the age of "just going out and playing" - whether it was baseball, basketball, bowling, or pool- you just did it and enjoyed it- as best you could. Sometimes someone imparted a bit of worthwhile information about the game- less often than not though. One thing for sure- I would not trade those times for anything today- no matter how much of a difference it would make in my skill level! Much of the purity of just enjoying life has been lost- hopefully someday people realize that experiences , not information, are really what makes it all worthwhile!