If your pool hall were looking to add something different, Snooker or Billiard?

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Our room owner is doing pretty well for us these days and it seems the improvemnts he is doing are paying off with having to wait for a table at times.

If they were to add something different would it be snooker or billiard in your opinion.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
It all depends on your location. What kind of folk live nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our room owner is doing pretty well for us these days and it seems the improvemnts he is doing are paying off with having to wait for a table at times.

If they were to add something different would it be snooker or billiard in your opinion.

More pool tables. You could add a billiard or snooker table but during your busy time if these tables were sitting empty they are costing you money. If I was going to add anything it would be snooker for obvious reasons. Lets face, billiards in this country is an obscurity. I will tell you something else, just from a clinical point of view, billiard players don't really spend money.

I never see them drinking when they play and are often not even very sociable. They often resent the pool players and don't mind letting them know it. I used to play in a place with 4 billiard tables and had a billiard clientele, these guys were all pri%ks.

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Craft beer

and any microbrew:thumbup: snooker, 3cushion in poolrooms I go to are used for the players cases and jackets

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If I were a customer I'd like to have the chance to play 3-cushion billiards. It looks like a fascinating game that has lots of applications to pool.

Best Billiards in Las Vegas has two billiard tables. The few times I've been there, the tables have been occupied by Latinos...having a good time and spending good money on beer and snacks.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
A room owner in my area installed a beautiful snooker table. It sits covered and unused 98% of the time.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
It all depends on your location. What kind of live nearby?

The city of Portland Maine proper is 66,000. The Greater Portland area has a population of over 200,000. Beyond Greater Portland is pick up trucks and gun racks, (rural). It is certainly the most diverse city in Maine and has a college as well. It is a hub for surrounding areas and has a progressive diverse population.

SpeedyPete84

9 Ball Choke Artist
Silver Member
I would love to see a snooker table pop up in one of the local rooms.

However, given that there is a higher Hispanic population around here, 3 cushion tends to be more popular. Two rooms out of the three big ones around here have at least one billiard table.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
The snooker tables in rooms where I have played get used casually by Europeans, and very seriously by heavy gamblers. Carom tables tend to be used both casually and seriously by spanish speakers (mostly from Mexico I think, but I don't know), and people from Korea. Does any of that describe your neighborhood? Whichever you choose, be ready to spend some money. Those things are not cheap to acquire, move, or maintain.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'd vote for a 5x10 Diamond, with 4" pockets. Your better players and gamblers will cut each others' throats to get at it. Snooker and 3 Cushion are too obscure, and will just take up space.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^This. It's something different while still being accessible. Probably won't lose you any money but will provide some variation to be sure.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I'd vote for a 5x10 Diamond, with 4" pockets. Your better players and gamblers will cut each others' throats to get at it. Snooker and 3 Cushion are too obscure, and will just take up space.

+1.....
We have a new place that opened and there is talk about a snooker table. The players would like to see a 5x10 Diamond. Charge extra no problem...they will come.
TommyT

mcesarey

Yes, I like the idea of a big Diamond as mentioned above. I hate that Snooker is as obscure as it is, because I think it's a truly great game that could be a way for players here to get more closely involved with the UK in order to play for some big money....but it's obscure and not many folks will use it because they've probably never played it and don't want to learn.

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck I just wish there were a pool room around here. I live 2 hours east of Memphis and 2 hours west of Nashville. I enjoyed snooker when I got to play. They closed that pool room down so I haven't played for years. The snooker table got more attention there than anything, other than the domino table. They actually got another snooker table right before they closed. There were usually 8 to 12 of us waiting for the next game. 50 cents per person (we played partners).

Adam

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Yes, I like the idea of a big Diamond as mentioned above. I hate that Snooker is as obscure as it is, because I think it's a truly great game that could be a way for players here to get more closely involved with the UK in order to play for some big money....but it's obscure and not many folks will use it because they've probably never played it and don't want to learn.

I would bet a 10 foot Diamond does not come cheap. Any idea on cost?