What's a good Break Shaft (to fit 3/8x10)?

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a break cue custom made a couple of years ago, but want to purchase a different shaft for it. It has to fit a 3/8 x 10. If need be, I'll go back to the same cue maker and have him make me a new one that will play more to what I'd prefer now, but I was hoping to find a good production cue-shaft in the $200 price range.

I like the (Predator) BK2 (or BK3), but don't see where I can find just the shaft, new, that would fit my 3/8 x 10.
McDermott makes an I-1, but I haven't found any helpful reviews about it.
OB makes two new shafts for their Rift break cue, but I can't see where to purchase just the shaft, let alone find one to fit my cue.
Mezz is supposed to make a good break shaft, but I can't find one, new, that would fit my cue.
So... I'm really open to suggestions.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz break shafts are great, but 3/8x10 is a special order item. Lead time varies hugely, depending on how far off the next break shaft run is at the factory.
Send a mail to: info@mezzusa.com I`m sure Caroline or Mika will help you.
My recomendation would be the Deep Impact Pro R shaft.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a break cue custom made a couple of years ago, but want to purchase a different shaft for it. It has to fit a 3/8 x 10. If need be, I'll go back to the same cue maker and have him make me a new one that will play more to what I'd prefer now, but I was hoping to find a good production cue-shaft in the $200 price range.

I like the (Predator) BK2 (or BK3), but don't see where I can find just the shaft, new, that would fit my 3/8 x 10.
McDermott makes an I-1, but I haven't found any helpful reviews about it.
OB makes two new shafts for their Rift break cue, but I can't see where to purchase just the shaft, let alone find one to fit my cue.
Mezz is supposed to make a good break shaft, but I can't find one, new, that would fit my cue.
So... I'm really open to suggestions.
:thumbup:

No need to spend all that money when you can buy the best right here---->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Break-Shaft...819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e57336cb

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diviney for me

Pat Diviney made my jump/break cue. He told me he had a real dark Lake Salvage shaft that he doubted any one would want on a playing cue and asked if I was interested and I was. The shaft is cool looking to me and I still think about having him converting it to a playing shaft. I'm sure he could match your joint to a shaft if you sent him the butt for a perfect fit. He sells regular and Lake Salvage shafts. Pat is a good and honest craftsman.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to thank everyone for their comments and recommendations. I had trouble getting online for a few days and couldn't respond sooner. However, I will try to respond to everyone now.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You gave me some interesting options here, and I am grateful. The first two are, what I believe, the same OB shaft, but sold by two retailers I had not been familiar with. I like OB shafts, and one of the descriptions likens it to an OB1 on steroids. :) So this sounds appealing to me.
I have heard mixed reviews on the Tiger Icebreaker, so I wasn't really leaning that way. Nevertheless, it was a great suggestion and I appreciate it.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz break shafts are great, but 3/8x10 is a special order item. Lead time varies hugely, depending on how far off the next break shaft run is at the factory.
Send a mail to: info@mezzusa.com I`m sure Caroline or Mika will help you.
My recomendation would be the Deep Impact Pro R shaft.

I really appreciate this suggestion. I am going to email them and see whether this is an option that can work for me. My concern is that the Deep Impact Pro R shaft might be too far above my price range. But I'll see what they say.

Thank you!

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Diviney made my jump/break cue. He told me he had a real dark Lake Salvage shaft that he doubted any one would want on a playing cue and asked if I was interested and I was. The shaft is cool looking to me and I still think about having him converting it to a playing shaft. I'm sure he could match your joint to a shaft if you sent him the butt for a perfect fit. He sells regular and Lake Salvage shafts. Pat is a good and honest craftsman.

I'm familiar with Pat's work and I agree completely that he is a "good and honest craftsman". He does amazing work. However, if I go "custom made", I will go back to the person that made the shaft I'm looking to replace now. He made the whole cue and if I have a new shaft made, I will call him and tell him what I want differently now than what I had asked him to make for me a couple of years ago.

Shady's

23 Billiards
Silver Member
Larry Vigus Break Shaft with G10

You will not find a better shaft to break with. They are amazing. PM or text me at 903-821-0401 and I can send you pics. I have direct contact to him so I can help facilitate. You will love it.

Joel