Question for older players

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Davis got trickier as he got older....he used to bank an early red-ball up table and
leave whitey behind the pack....once a couple more reds ended up at the D end...
....the table became two 6x6s....no more long shots.

Here's Fred...still bringing it at the age of 65.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...1xAg0Q&usg=AFQjCNHbwKzK0IKkRjpzIQgIutHxiOGtTw
Thanks, nice run for and old guy, but he is a Davis so I would expect nothing less.
He seemed to enjoy that run.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of it

I play for fun so I guess pool is not the priority in my life. I have other things that are priorities, such as a wife and kids and grandkids.

Also, living in Alaska and being an avid out door guy leaves little time for pool from April to November.

I think if I had my vision corrected in my right/dominant eye I would shoot better.

If I forced my self to concentrate harder on each shot I would improve.

If I practiced to include drills more I would improve.

If I lost some weight I would have more stamina and improve.

If I had more of a competitive spirit I would improve.

When one reaches my age I have a different perspective on what is important.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
For me it's my back, if I play more than a couple hrs, I'm not much good the next day. I still love to play and play/practice some everyday, just in short sessions usually about 20 min. As they say; getting old sucks but it beats the alternative. On my way to the Dr. now, hopefully he can give me some hope for the future...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"Davis only retired in 1993, aged 79, having lost to future world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan (62 years his junior) 5–1 in the Grand Prix qualifying during his last season."

[Wiki]

Strange....I was at that match...and couldn't remember his opponent. :embarrassed2:

We always talked, he was quite fond of my mentor.

He told me that was his last match....because he had lost the strength in his legs.
...he couldn't stop a long shot, he would try to just roll it in....great billiard hits are like
throwing a knockout punch...or driving a golf ball...you hit from your feet.

It was kinda sad for me...but Fred kept his sunny disposition...why I always liked watching
him....always beaming.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With me its basically what kind of day I had at work I do a lot of strenuous physical work on some days. Running a jackhammer ....digging trenches with a shovel. Last week I was pulling 2feet by 3 feet concrete slabs up that were 5 inches thick by hand. If I had to guess I would say they each weighed 150 to 175 pounds. I am 63 weigh 160 pounds. been that weight since I was 21 years old. Oh yea ...only 5 foot 4 lol.

Last Thursday was a pretty easy day. Sitting on a bucket installing water lines in a building. Got off work early enough to rest up a few hours before pool and I felt pretty good . Good enough to put the smack down on a 6 playing 9 ball winning 38-25 in a 38-46 race

Friday I was climbing a 14 foot step ladder hanging 21 foot sections on 2 inch steel pipe . Probly 120-130 pounds each.. Got off work just in tike to rush home take a shower and make to to the pool hall 10 minutes before match time. I was tired couldn't focus and lost to a 4 by 31 -36 in a 31-38 race

Sunday I laid around the house and did not do a thing. Went to pool and won 9 ball vs a 6 by 38-30 in a 38-46 race .

Today I ran a 70 pound jackhammer all day. My whole body aches and I decided not to play tonight .

Oh yea.... A few years ago I had an injury to my right forearm leaving me no feeling in half of my hand and limited mobility in my fingers. I was told to never lift over 30 pounds. There is not a day that goes by that I don't lift double that. and yea sometimes when i overdo it the resulting pain in my hand reminds me that I aint supposed to be doing that.

As for tournaments ? My feet kill me after a few hours and yea my level of play suffers once they start hurting.

One other thing that affects my play is cold air. One particular pool hall keeps it as cold as a hospital. It makes my bad hand start hurting like a bad toothache. If you walk in there you will know who I am immediately because I am the only one wearing a thermal undershirt under my tee shirt in July. It's the only way I can bear playing in that pool hall for more than an hour.