Handicap Tournaments

Jawzcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who has a handicapped tournament format in their area that is effective?

Effective = good consistent turnout, minimal complaining, and benefits the pool room, and the players?

It's a long shot, but I want to know. Everyone chime in here pls.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most consistent "handicapped" tournament we have in my area is a weekly Friday night one. But it's a even race to 3 and 2 on the losers side. The handicap part is split with 2 groups on the board. 6-7's on top while 3-5's on bottom so in essence the better play the better & weaker play weaker. This quarantines a weaker player in money every time. But it's mixed every other round on losers side.
This probably wasn't what your looking for but it works well, and no one can complain about sandbagging on an even race. Plus the short race to 3 keeps it interesting to lessor players.

Oh yeah, early on the first person eliminated got free entry the next week! I'm not sure if this still happens though?????

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no such thing as a handicapped tournament without complaints. Arizona has a statewide rating system as about as fair as possible.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
There is no such thing as a handicapped tournament without complaints. Arizona has a statewide rating system as about as fair as possible.

You would be wrong about that one. We have them all the time. We use MyPoolStats which uses the same algorithm as Fargo. We have been using MPS for at least the 5 years I have been playing pool. Our most popular tournaments are 650 and lower, 575 and lower, 499 and lower, and 425 and lower. We also have open tournaments like the rest of the world. The 499 and 425 and lower are probably some of the most popular. The thing that is so easy is that either your number is above the permitted allowable number or below. If its above you dont get to play, if its below have fun.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One format that has worked up here is a handicapped by entry 9b tournament. Short races straight races (5 on the winners, 4 or 3 on the losers depending on size of field).

Straight races, but entry is $5 for chumps like me, $30 for champs like John Morra and varying entries in between. A lot of $5 and $10 players entering along with a few top players. Great opportunity for guys like me to play a lot of pool for cheap and occasionally play a great player for cheap (and I've beaten a few pretty good players on the B side - race to 3 in 9b is really short). Sure, the top tier players usually take the money, but it is worth it for everyone.