The new Jacoby LD shaft--feedback please

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'm playing with the Jacoby Hybrid which has been discontinued so I know at some point I may want another cue and need shafts. Has anyone played with the new Jacoby LD shaft?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing with the Jacoby Hybrid which has been discontinued so I know at some point I may want another cue and need shafts. Has anyone played with the new Jacoby LD shaft?

I have and they were "ok" compared to the LD shafts ive been using.

I would put them as a mid-range in playability when comparing deflection properties.

Just to be clear, Im talking about "deflection", not feel, sound etc...etc.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the new Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft. It came with a Tiger Everest that was completely dried out. I put a Zan Hybrid Max on it. It weighs 4.07 ounces and measures 12.88mm at the top of the ferrule. It has an extremely long pro taper, and flexes a little but not enough to make it whippy. The shaft does not feel overly stiff, the hit is very solid and feels almost like a non-LD shaft and gives a little more feedback than my Predator 314-3. I like it a little more than my Jacoby Edge Hybrid which has an Onyx tip so its kind of hard to compare the two.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I have the new Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft. It came with a Tiger Everest that was completely dried out. I put a Zan Hybrid Max on it. It weighs 4.07 ounces and measures 12.88mm at the top of the ferrule. It has an extremely long pro taper, and flexes a little but not enough to make it whippy. The shaft does not feel overly stiff, the hit is very solid and feels almost like a non-LD shaft and gives a little more feedback than my Predator 314-3. I like it a little more than my Jacoby Edge Hybrid which has an Onyx tip so its kind of hard to compare the two.

I wasn't expecting to hear that in bold. I was under the impression it was a very stiff playing shaft. At 12.88 it having noticeable flex makes me wonder if you feel the same flex from the Hybrid? and how thick that shaft is.

I have two one a little thicker about 12.8 with virtually no flex and one a little thinner about 12.70 maybe a little less with some flex but it plays like a dream.

I liked the Hybrid well enough that it bothered me when they stopped making it. I may have to find another shaft that won't go out of production. I think taking the Hybrid out of production was a mistake.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of the old hybrid shafts but I went with the Cuetec cynergy for the fact of the size. After a few months I am sold on it.

12.3 for the Jacoby was too thin for my tastes. I tried a pre production model that was thicker and really liked it but they decided to go thinner than that one for some reason. The Revo felt and sounded weird.

The Cuetec at 12.5 and the long pro taper feels, sounds and plays good. It was not too big adjustment from the hybrid. Everyone that has tried mine really likes it including Revo users.

One option if you dont qant to go carbon fiber is you may be able to find a blank out there of the hybrid and hold onto it for a new cue build.

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Ultra Pro and an Edge. I think the Ultra is a great replacement of the Edge. No reason to make both anymore.

The only thing I don't like about my ultra is that Jacoby makes their radials at 0.847 at the joint and my radial cues are no more than 0.840 and I can notice that difference. It is the reason I won't try the Black CF shaft.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby Hybrid

I have a Jacoby Hybrid and Jacoby Ultra Hybrid. I'm absolutely certain I have in the neighborhood of $450 invested in the two of them, lol.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't expecting to hear that in bold. I was under the impression it was a very stiff playing shaft. At 12.88 it having noticeable flex makes me wonder if you feel the same flex from the Hybrid? and how thick that shaft is.

It is stiff but because of the long taper it flexes just a little. My Edge Hybrid flexes just a hair more, but its so close its very hard to tell. The Hybrid Edge weighs 3.85 ounces and is 12.62mm. The Hybrid Edge pro taper goes back one inch more than the Ultra Pro's.

Last edited: