Run out/ route concerns

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the best way to learn position routes? I've been doing the Jerry breisth (I think that's how you spell his name) drill of taking ball in hand doing an easy shot to angle,angle, etc to easy last shot. Repeating when bad position happens. Is there any other position drills that are this engaging? I'm also doing this with all 8 balls, should I now start to add blockers or breakouts? I don't want to overwhelm myself and quit or not try. So it has to be somewhat fun. There's got to be more ideas than just this lol

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 ball rotation can be a bit overwhelming to newer players, especially if you're not breaking them so well, but it is an actual game that is played that also functions as an intensive drill.

If your break still needs work you can place the balls randomly on the table. Also, don't rake it in when you miss position (or a shot). If I miss position I play a lock up safety against myself. I keep playing the safety back at myself until I hide it so well I'd be guaranteed ball in hand, which I take, and finish the runout. Set whatever rule you want for yourself, like kicking safe twice is ball in hand. It's a simple modification to practicing rotation that lets you also get your safety game down really well.