Flooring for a pool hall

JBergman

Our pool hall is in desperate need of replacing the flooring. I was looking for some guidance as to what other options there are beyond carpeting.

We have 16 tables (8 foot and 7 foot) in about 5000 square feet.

Right now we have carpeting on Cement.

I was hoping to go with some sort of Vinyl or laminate type of flooring; but have not been able to find anything definitive as to whether I will have issues, and what types of issues that there could be.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have been restoring tables for a pool room that has 2 locations. They decided to use 24" x 24" vinyl backed carpet squares. They are a lil pricey, but, easy to install and easy to replace a square if it gets damaged. I prefer carpet over other other options. Just my $0.02.

TFT

Our pool hall is in desperate need of replacing the flooring. I was looking for some guidance as to what other options there are beyond carpeting.

We have 16 tables (8 foot and 7 foot) in about 5000 square feet.

Right now we have carpeting on Cement.

I was hoping to go with some sort of Vinyl or laminate type of flooring; but have not been able to find anything definitive as to whether I will have issues, and what types of issues that there could be.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been restoring tables for a pool room that has 2 locations. They decided to use 24" x 24" vinyl backed carpet squares. They are a lil pricey, but, easy to install and easy to replace a square if it gets damaged. I prefer carpet over other other options. Just my $0.02.

TFT

Agreed. Exactly what I used in my garage. I got the idea from California Billiards in Fremont, CA.

49725546583_f658784cff_c.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
MissCue North and South here in Toledo used them. They did all the work themselves and saved HUGE money. I like them and them being replaceable makes them a sure thing!

TFT

Agreed. Exactly what I used in my garage. I got the idea from California Billiards in Fremont, CA.

49725546583_f658784cff_c.jpg

JBergman

When you guys put them down, how did you affix them to the cement; Looking at your results, I think this is likely the way we are going to go as well.

I definitely appreciate the input :smile:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you guys put them down, how did you affix them to the cement; Looking at your results, I think this is likely the way we are going to go as well.

I used carpet tape. No issues and they are easily replaceable if they get stained.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

At MissCue they used roller frames/extension poles and some type contact cement. The one location has been done for about a year and a half and just got cleaned. The cleaning was very effective. No squares needed replacement either. Win Win! Show us pics when you are done, good luck.

TFT

Attachments

• 89761028_1269915423218483_1809085511210369024_o.jpg
    89761028_1269915423218483_1809085511210369024_o.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 165

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will only note some "if's". flooring can be a risky recommendation since different people and industries have different expectations.
Carpet makes a quieter space.
Kind of doubt anything besides carpet will be as cost effective.

That said since it's on your list:

"if" you go with laminate - get a procduct that the whole piece is solid, impregnated. Not the thin layer on cheap plywood backer.

"if" you go with laminate - the bamboo stuff, and industrial products like Pergo are pretty darn good and long wearing.

"if" you go with laminate - there are 2 ways to install it: 1.) secured at the perimeter and click only or floating everywhere else. I was surprised that a local bar with 2 free 9' Brunswick tables put floating floors in a few years ago. I bet my wife it wouldn't hold up. Almost 4 years later, bar since sold to new owner, they look new. (now only 1 table, though :(
2.) I used to install wood floors - would not install it without professional quality mastic, which is almost as expensive per sf as the floor product. Then again i'm an old geezer who maybe has not kept up with the times.

"If" you look at laminate, consider Cali floors on your list.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: