Bob Frey Sneaky Petes

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
bnall said:
Kinda looks like Freys ebony sneakies. His are called sneakies.

http://www.cuesnthings.com/cues/sneakypete/
Apparently, the term is losing its meaning and is becoming less and less like its roots. The sneaky pete was a cue intended to look like a house cue, but have a joint. Today, the evolution (or perhaps the new generation) seems to call anything that doesn't have a wrap or veneers a sneaky pete.

But for this discussion, the facts IMO are:
Tim states he doesn't make sneakies.
If he is making no veneer cues, it is clear that he doesn't consider those sneakies.
Thus, Tim believes that anything coming out of his shop isn't a sneaky - despite what Cues-n-things (or anyone else) calls them...

-td

Last edited:

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
td873 said:
Apparently, the term is losing its meaning and is becoming less and less like its roots. The sneaky pete was a cue intended to look like a house cue, but have a joint. Today, the evolution (or perhaps the new generation) seems to call anything that doesn't have a wrap or veneers a sneaky pete.

But for this discussion, the facts IMO are:
Tim states he doesn't make sneakies.
If he is making no veneer cues, it is clear that he doesn't consider those sneakies.
Thus, anything coming out of Tim's shop isn't a sneaky - despite what Cues-n-things (or anyone else) calls them...

-td

I think that too. Basically any four point wrapless cues are called sneakies now.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
bnall said:
I used to own a bunch of these back in the early 90's. A guy from my area was selling these at $150 back then.
They go for at least $500 now.

And just for the record, the Blue Book of Pool Cues (although not the end-all source) defines a Sneaky Pete as: "A slang term for a two-piece custom cue designed to look like a one-piece bar cue taken off the rack." (3rd ed, p. 27).

-td

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
td873 said:
They go for at least $500 now.

And just for the record, the Blue Book of Pool Cues (although not the end-all source) defines a Sneaky Pete as: "A slang term for a two-piece custom cue designed to look like a one-piece bar cue taken off the rack." (3rd ed, p. 27).

-td

I know. I wished I had them back now.:mad:

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
not all

:eek:
td873 said:
I own a TS sneaky and a F sneaky, and wouldn't you know it, they were made by the same hands.

In case you were wondering: Frey sneaky's are Scrugg's sneaky's and Scrugg's sneaky's are Frey sneaky's. That's why they hit so good. Simple really.

-td
i got it from tim scruggs himself that bob frey did not make all the s/p. there were 2 other people that made them. they were also made after bob frey left. tim said the other guy kept making them until he went back to truck driving. i my opinion they don't have the same hit. we should do a blind fold taste test.:p i hope someone hasn't answerd this or made a simaler post. i just saw it and went to town lol. not trying to start anything, just my opinion. in a side note, i wouldn't think a 3/8 would hit the same as a 5/16 period. all other things equeal and made by who ever.:rolleyes: oh well as my wife would say i am wrong anyway. lol

lsabado

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scruggs

I've had both cues and I think the Scruggs hit better and has a better balance.