I got reminded yesterday why i quit playing tournaments

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will stick my neck out here for a second. I was one of the tournament directors that Lorider is referring to.

Let me set the scene for a moment for clarification. There were technically THREE 16-person double elimination tournaments being ran simultaneously with continuous play on 12 tables. APA Splashboards, not to be confused with Singles Qualifers. Splashboards are able to qualify 5 out of the 16 to spots in Regionals. Win 3 before you lose 2.

Starting at Noon, the co-director and I kicked off all 3 Splashboards, and we finished all three by 630 PM. Yes, there were about 20% that participated in both 8-ball and 9-ball formats. The reason the formats were done on the same weekend/afternoon was to offer the chance to some people that can't make multiple weekends to get qualified for Regionals. With the window closing to get qualified, there were multiple requests from players to run not just one of each, but a second 9-ball Splashboard.

With all of that being said, I would like to think qualifying 15 people to go to a Regional (LoRider included) far surpasses spending an afternoon on a sport that we all love, giving these players a chance for Vegas. Memphis has historically never qualified many players for Regionals, but the new League Operators are on a mission, and I fully support it.

I took the time out my busy week to help direct these tournaments, and I am very appreciative of the opportunity. I would do it this way again and again too.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have, though! Help me help Memphis run better tournaments...

LoRider, feel free to contact me or the LOs.

I was jjust on the phone replying to a text from the girl who assisted you running this tournament. She relayed to me that she was hurt because she was notified that i was unhappy with how you two ran this tournament.

From reading her text she thinks i am unhappy with the lo's also . nothing could be farther from the truth. I am extremely happy with our lo's and am grateful for what they do for me personaly.

Nowhere did i say anything negative about how you or her ran the tournament or with how our lo's run their league so when you relay to other people what i post on here please make sure its completely accurate so there will be no misunderstanding such as the person who assisted you has right now.

To clarify my op. ...nothing was said about how you or her ran the tournament . without checking back....i believe i also stated had i known you were running more than one tournamemt at a time i probably would not have entered and i take the blame for not knowing that as she pointed out to me that it was posted that you were running more than one tournament at the same time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I understand your tactic, Singles qualifiers have historically not worked in Memphis.... not enough buy-in from players to show up in that fashion... partly a money thing, and another structure aspect... they’d rather play double elimination for better opportunity, which brings in the Splashboards. On top of qualifying 5 people out of 16, instead of 2 with Singles Qualifiers.... it offers “security” over having one bad match and losing $20.... our area prefers Splashboards and we run at least 10 or so per session to peak players’ interest.

Also, there is a bad stigma from when we ran multiple Singles qualifiers, where even those would take 3 hours themselves... which should never happen, and that’s why people run towards the Splashboards.

Hope this makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While you have not been around here as long as i have i will say you are partially correct. When i first joined apa here we did have some success with having bracketed singles qualifiers but it died off and at the time splashboards were not very popular. ...mainly due to lower levels feeling they did not have a chance vs higher levels. The splashboard format does have more success than the old format and as you say...lower have a better opportunity to qualify.

We do have more success now in filling qualifiers than before and i attribute that solely due to our current lo's. They have done a great job in drawing people in to not only splashboards but holding other tournaments as well. They have expanded into other areas such as arkansas and tunica..

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I start thinking about going home at that point.

But if you win your first few matches and the TD has run the winners' bracket as quickly as possible, you will have to wait even longer, eventually. Then I'll want to go home but I sort of can't.

I think double elimination is a bad solution to a problem that didn't really exist. It's unfortunate that it caught on in the pool world. Semi-tolerable is double elimination in groups of four with two advancing to the single-elimination phase. I think that satisfies most of the requirement of enough play for everyone.

At either of these points, I completely understand the frustration, but if you want to go home then you shouldnt have entered. Anyone that's played in tournies knows the nature of that beast. I go in expecting the worst and end up pleasantly surprised if it goes faster.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does the entire tournament have to be run at 1 establishment? We ran an APA tournament in an eighth table establishment. There were way too many people entered to get it done in the two-day window. So he made arrangements with the local Elks Club. They had 5 tables. So we run the winners bracket in the original establishment, and if you sent to the losers bracket, you drove a short distance to the Elks and played there.

The person running the losers bracket at the Elks simply called The League operator and informed him of the results.

It was simple, it worked, and you spent far less time sitting around waiting. I would rather drive a short distance then sit on my ass half a day

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will stick my neck out here for a second. I was one of the tournament directors that Lorider is referring to.

Let me set the scene for a moment for clarification. There were technically THREE 16-person double elimination tournaments being ran simultaneously with continuous play on 12 tables. APA Splashboards, not to be confused with Singles Qualifers. Splashboards are able to qualify 5 out of the 16 to spots in Regionals. Win 3 before you lose 2.

Starting at Noon, the co-director and I kicked off all 3 Splashboards, and we finished all three by 630 PM. Yes, there were about 20% that participated in both 8-ball and 9-ball formats. The reason the formats were done on the same weekend/afternoon was to offer the chance to some people that can't make multiple weekends to get qualified for Regionals. With the window closing to get qualified, there were multiple requests from players to run not just one of each, but a second 9-ball Splashboard.

With all of that being said, I would like to think qualifying 15 people to go to a Regional (LoRider included) far surpasses spending an afternoon on a sport that we all love, giving these players a chance for Vegas. Memphis has historically never qualified many players for Regionals, but the new League Operators are on a mission, and I fully support it.

I took the time out my busy week to help direct these tournaments, and I am very appreciative of the opportunity. I would do it this way again and again too.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have, though! Help me help Memphis run better tournaments...

LoRider, feel free to contact me or the LOs.

Dude while you are clarifying things how about clarifying to the person who helped run this tournament that i never said anything negative about the work she put into running this tournament or you either for that matter.

I dont know what you told her as i did not ask but obviously you took my op as a personal afront to you and her and relayed as much to her.

No telling what you told the lo's. My op was not about how you personaly ran this tournament but about tournaments in general and it seems many others on here share the same view.

pprice14

Registered
Dude while you are clarifying things how about clarifying to the person who helped run this tournament that i never said anything negative about the work she put into running this tournament or you either for that matter.

I dont know what you told her as i did not ask but obviously you took my op as a personal afront to you and her and relayed as much to her.

No telling what you told the lo's. My op was not about how you personaly ran this tournament but about tournaments in general and it seems many others on here share the same view.

You and I can take this offline to talk about a few things, hoping this is all a misunderstanding.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You and I can take this offline to talk about a few things, hoping this is all a misunderstanding.

All right by me to discuss this when we see each other at league. Just want to give you something to think about until then.

You have my number and if you had an issue with what i posted you could have text me and cleared up this misunderstanding before you contacted her giving her the impression that i was unhappy with her efforts in helping you run this tournament.