Replacement for Pre-Cat Predator

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Just recently made a shaft switch and wanted to give a review about it. I bought my first cue about 15 years ago (Falcon cue with pre-cat Predator shaft) and have been using it ever since. Since the shaft is getting quite old and beat, I've been trying to find a replacement for years now, and have tried numerous different shafts from Predator, OB, Mezz and others, but just couldn't find a shaft that felt right and had similar deflection properties to the pre-cat.

Then just a couple weeks ago, I sent my shaft away to have the tip replaced and my friend let me borrow his Adam cue, with ACSS shaft. I picked it up and played lights out from the very beginning and was amazed how close it played to the pre-cat Predator.

The taper is more of a European conical compared to Predator's pro taper, but it didn't bother me much. One thing is that the ACSS shaft is thick and very, very stiff, and took a little getting used to. But the hit is very solid and the cue goes through the cue ball quite cleanly. After returning to my Predator a few days later, it felt kind of "dead" to me.

So, I've made the switch to ACSS and have been very happy and playing some of my best pool in a while (thanks to Mark's book as well). Just wanted to let all the other pre-cat shaft fans out there, that there is a decent option with Adam's ACSS shafts that you can jump into with little adjustment.

Cheers,
Vic

newguy99

http://www.palmercue.com/
Silver Member
would you be interest in trying one of my hornbeam shafts $ 175.00 i can make one if you like it u can send a check if u dont like it send it back wont cost uou anything i need some good opinions from player that use laminated shfts the hornbeam has 50 to 100 grouth rings the wood is tight as it gets the few that are out in the field the players like them