repair to joint area

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of a cue that needs a repair on the joint/handle area.
It is a Alex Higgins cue, from year ?
Does anyone know of this cue,or their history?
Is it worth repairing by putting another ring on it and closing up the split with resin and a threaded insert?
Any help is appreciated.
Thankyou in advance,
Neil Lickfold

Attachments

• Higgins-1.jpg
    Higgins-1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Higgins-2.jpg
    Higgins-2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 556
  • Higgins3.JPG
    Higgins3.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 552

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about the player, but BCE stands for Billiard Cues of England and they were once a top maker of Snooker and Carom cues.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Whether this cue is worth repairing will be determined by the value of the cue when the work is completed. From where I sit, it's not worth repairing unless you're willing to work for $5/hr.
What does this cue cost brand-new?
Even if the repair is perfect, the value will never be more than half of that.
You're looking at a serious revamp of the joint design so there goes originality. The wood pin is past the point of being repaired.

Sure, this cue can be repaired but what have you got when you're done?
It's obvious that this cue has been beaten to death.
Sometimes it's best just to leave the dead lay.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with KJ. Probably the best value out of that cue would be to rob the handle section with butterfly points and make a forearm for another cue with it. If the Ash shaft is really straight you could face off where the screw sticks out and put an insert in it to make a snooker shaft for the new cue.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil,

If you own the cue - I would possibly check with some snooker sites to see if
there is some enthusiasts which where a big fan.
Mr. Higgins was a rebel and I'm sure there would be some one out there which would
appreciate to own the cue and then you could judge prize etc.

If you are doing this for a customer - let him know your cost and the ideas you
have w.r.t repair. It would alter the feeling changing out the wooden threads
so in case let the customer know that it would not be the same as when Mr.Higgins
used it

Just my thoughts
N

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not the owner,the guy that does own it was just going to glue it all together with 24 hour epoxy.
So any reasonable suggestions will be appreciated.
I have not been able to find any pictures of a BCE cue with the BCE badge on it.
Neil

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil,

I'm working on a McDermott which has the joint (on the but) broken off after
to many times knocking the cue in the table.
The way I'm doing this is to chop the rest off, making a "mini-forarm" on top
of the normal forarm with a smaller threaded metal joint. Then boring and installing
a new 3/8x10 joint. Might be a option for you on this cue, you would have a
change in wood on the top but I'm guessing you are refinishing the cue ?

Same idea applies for the shaft-chop and install a large wood tenon and make
new wood threads on the new tenon to match the new threads you made on the
forarm.

That would be my way, but there is several ways to Rome :rolleyes::yes:

K

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Its repairable. Most everything is repairable. It all depends on what you want to pay for it.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conetip
The way that the thread broke out looks like it went into a butt that had a different thread pitch.

Maybe this isn't the original shaft or your customer tried it in another cue. I'd check this all this out and not assume anything and just start cutting threads.

nipper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just to clarify alex higgins is from northern ireland and died late last year he was world snooker champion in 1972 and 1982 and i think it is safe to say he never played with that piece of junk which if it were to be repaired would be worth $20 on a good day

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just to clarify alex higgins is from northern ireland and died late last year he was world snooker champion in 1972 and 1982 and i think it is safe to say he never played with that piece of junk which if it were to be repaired would be worth $20 on a good day

Nothing new in your post - we're aware of it all.
I'm not sure how he treated his playing cue - but the way he lived his life was for sure rough so if some one had his cue from the 70s or 80s I guess it could look like this:scratchhead:

He was a phenomena which I guess many of us from Europe remember but Mr YouTube has a lot of history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORuhsSaKwBI

Anyway, hope you post some pics Neil when your repair is done - which this thread was all about.

K