Break cue questions

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
OK - after a couple months I've found "my cue" (Joss - although I may still pick up a Mezz, Jacoby, and/or McDermott just to try them out) - so moving forward...

Now - I've also picked up a couple Action J/B cues (one SS and one SP wood joint), and a Bungee jump cue (which left me very UNimpressed).

I'm considering putting a LITTLE bit more in to the break cue area, but not to the tune of dropping $4-500 on a Predator. I've read some of the (many) past threads about "Best Break Cues" on here etc - and I'm to this point:

1. With the phenolic ferrule/tip combo - can a regular tip be put on that? (cut off the rounded part and mount a tip)? Or - does the whole thing have to be replaced?

2. In looking at tips: I'm considering Samsara or Icebreaker. Anyone have a strong preference in that area?

3. In the "little better" cue area - I'm considering either the Dufferin D901, one of the J&J J/B or combo cues or Outlaw Iron Horse. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

(As I've said - I have used the search function and read through a page or two of the results - so no need to tell me there's a good thread there (at least back to about 2010)
)

Last edited:

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
1) Yes, it's possible. Don't need to replace the whole thing.
2) I prefer Samsara, the feedback is good, the grip on the ball is awesome for control. You'll be surprised how much spin you can put on that CB.
3) I think Dufferin or the J&J will be fine.
Just my $0.02 :)

I usa a rage 25oz jump beak cue get it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25oz-Rage-R...123861?hash=item1c81953615:g:ItAAAMXQDK1RugRL

Back to search results

|Listed in category:

Sporting Goods
>
Indoor Games
>
Billiards
>
Cues

Picture Information
25oz-Rage-RGJBHH-Jump-Break-Heavy-Hitter-Breaking-Pool-Cue

Have one to sell? Sell now
Details about 25oz Rage RGJBHH Jump Break Heavy Hitter Breaking Pool Cue
Email to friends
Share on Facebook - opens in a new window or tab
Share on Twitter - opens in a new window or tab
Share on Pinterest - opens in a new window or tab

| Add to watch list
Seller information
billiardsheaven (23979 )
99.3% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
Visit store:
Billiards Heaven
See other items
Item Information
Item condition:
New
Time left:
Time left: 2d 19h Wednesday, 5:17PM
Quantity:
4 available
Price:
US $84.99
Buy It Now

Add to cart

1 watching
Add to watch list
Add to collection
Delivery by Wed. 4/12
Free shipping
Experienced seller
Shipping:
FREE Expedited Shipping | See details

Item location:
Tracy, California, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide
Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. Apr. 11 and Fri. Apr. 14
Use Expedited Shipping to get it by Apr. 12

help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Payments:
PayPal Visa/MasterCard, Amex, Discover
Credit Cards processed by PayPal
PayPal Credit
Get more time to pay. Apply Now
- opens in a new window or tab
| See Terms
- opens in a new window or tab
See
payment
details
Returns:
14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping | See details

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the price you're ready to spend I like the Mezz Power Break II, but the Pechauer is also very good.

1. Yes.
2. I like the original on the Mezz. It's amazing break tip. Perfect hardness to control ratio.
3. No thoughts.

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
break cue

McDermott with hard pressed elkmaster....great break/jump cue

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have a Diveney j/b cue with a phenolic ferrule & samsara tip. Way over your probable price range but the best break cue I've ever used & I have tried many. I actually don't use it as a jumper. If I break it down, I use it for a short cue with the samsara tip being leather since I play in a bar 99.9% of the time.

I actually have a dedicated jump cue for jumping, but that is custom too. It's a Dunkel carbon fiber jumper & it's like cheating using that bad boy. The tip on the jumper is a g10.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Since you have already spent money trying to save money on inexpensive break cues and not been happy I would suggest stretching your budget a little further for a better quality one. My Pechauer break cue cost $180 and has served me very well for years now.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Since you have already spent money trying to save money on inexpensive break cues and not been happy I would suggest stretching your budget a little further for a better quality one. My Pechauer break cue cost $180 and has served me very well for years now.

Thank you. While it isn't something I WANTED to hear or do - I think you're right. Looking at Joss Thor's Hammer.

While I do like the Pechauer player I recently got - I just think that since I've been so damn happy with Joss - that might be what I want to do.

Damn shame I can't do justice to my sticks huh? But I try - and I love shooting - guess that's what counts.

coltstudd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi i got the joss thor hammer and it is awesome,i also have a joss west with the joss natural high performance shaft that set up is sweet.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Thank you. While it isn't something I WANTED to hear or do - I think you're right. Looking at Joss Thor's Hammer.

While I do like the Pechauer player I recently got - I just think that since I've been so damn happy with Joss - that might be what I want to do.

Damn shame I can't do justice to my sticks huh? But I try - and I love shooting - guess that's what counts.

I just had to Google this cue because I've never heard of it before. Pretty cool & 3 different woods to choose from. The black looks cool with the white (ivory) color. But then the Purple Heart looks cool too.

On a side note, you always are very positive on here, it's refreshing to say the least.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Any cue can be a break cue. Just depends on what you want out of it. I use a Sneaky Pete made by the same maker that made my playing cue. I use a Kamui Black Hard tip for breaking. Never had any problems.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had four break cues in the last few years:

#1) J&J J/B with a phenolic tip - absolutely nothing wrong with this cue, especially for $50. Gave it to my wife when I bought #2...

#2) Players PureX J/B with the sport wrap and a phenolic tip - this was a FANTASTIC break cue, and jumped really well too. Best on the market for ~$200 and I would highly recommend it. I sold it to a friend of mine with back problems who can't put any real strength into the break - he breaks MUCH better since he switched to this cue. I sold it when I bought #3...

#3) Jacoby Edge. Started with the phenolic, then had a Samsara put on it. I like the lesser weight, and I love the thicker barrel, The Samsara tip was an improvement, but I never learned how to control this cue. Plus, I tend to suffer from "newcueitis", so I recently bought #4...

#4) Samsara J/B with a separate jump handle and a Samsara tip. Bought it off AZ for $550. All I can say is WOW. After practicing a few times with it, it has made a *HUGE* improvement in the quality of my breaks. I haven't even tried the jumper out yet. I can't imagine I'll ever buy a different break cue.

I would say at this point that I would avoid the phenolic tip. Of the lot, I'd say you can't go wrong with the PureX, and I can only imagine how good it would be with a Samsara tip on it.