8 Ball Break on 9 footer

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any suggestions on how to break and consistently make a ball playing 8-ball on a big table?

Seems like I can just hit the bjeesus out of them and balls will be flying everywhere but I cannot get a ball to drop on more than 50% of my breaks, if that.

I've tried a cut break to get one to go into the side but if nothing goes in the side nothing else goes either.

Hitting hard doesn't seem to work either. I get the best results if I tone down the speed just a bit and do a cut break from the first diamond. Even then I probably only make a ball maybe 33-50% of the time.

Any ideas?

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The following seems true for me....

If you break from the center of the table, there will be less clusters after the break. As you break more toward the side, there will be more clusters after the break.

If you break with draw (shoot low on cue ball), the cue ball will "get out of the way" of the balls and allow them to spread around the table.

Getting the cue ball to come straight back after every break will likely leave the cue ball in the central area of the table giving you several shots after the break (hopefully).

You are more likely to make at least one ball with a slower breaking speed.

So I have the the best luck - good spread of balls, cue ball left in central area of table, no clusters, and at least one ball pocketed by breaking slower from the center with draw and getting the cue ball to come straight back.

The above is assuming a perfect tight rack. If there are gaps (slug rack), the break will "fizzle"! Also this is with new Super Aramith Pro balls (all balls exact same size) and a good properly racking triangle (so *very* perfect rack) and on championship 3030 cloth.

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
Align the cueball, the head ball, and one of the two balls that sit right behind the 8 in a perfectly straight line. When you break look past the head ball and aim to hit the ball behind the 8 dead in the face. This will give you a great spread and hopefully pocket a ball or two. Try it. I've been using this break on the bar box and have great results sometimes pocketing 3-5 balls. Haven't had the chance to try it on a 9 footer yet though.