Pool Joints

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain to me what the difference between joints... on a pool cue are? I am looking to get a new cue made but I have only played with a phenolic joint, with that being said I have tried stainless steel joints as well, I just don't understand what piloted joints are?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain to me what the difference between joints... on a pool cue are? I am looking to get a new cue made but I have only played with a phenolic joint, with that being said I have tried stainless steel joints as well, I just don't understand what piloted joints are?

A piloted joint has an extended inside ring that insures radial fit of butt to shaft.

Joints can be decorative {Ivory, rings}
Joints can be made from various substances{ steel, brass, ivory, plastic, phenolic,...}
The threads can be made of various flavors {3/8 NC,...} and contain pins of various kinds
Joints alter the balance of the cue, the heavier the joint, the more nose heavy the cue

Gien a standard stroke, the cue ball has left contact with the tip on the cue before the compression wave arrives at the joint, and so, the joint does not play a part in the way a cue hits the CB {except in so far as to hold the shaft concentric to the butt of the cue.}

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gien a standard stroke, the cue ball has left contact with the tip on the cue before the compression wave arrives at the joint, and so, the joint does not play a part in the way a cue hits the CB {except in so far as to hold the shaft concentric to the butt of the cue.}

In before the guys claiming to be able to tell the difference in hit from pin to pin.