scoring beeds

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im looking to install some beads in my pool room. i have never actually seen them other than pictues of just the beads on a string. probably a stupid question but how do you install them so they function properly? any pictures you could show me would be great. i just started playing straight pool this week and im addicted. also, if there is any other methods or better methods please mention them also. thanks guys, the pen and the notebook is getting old fast.

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
im looking to install some beads in my pool room. i have never actually seen them other than pictues of just the beads on a string. probably a stupid question but how do you install them so they function properly? any pictures you could show me would be great. i just started playing straight pool this week and im addicted. also, if there is any other methods or better methods please mention them also. thanks guys, the pen and the notebook is getting old fast.

Do you have the counters on the foot rail of your table? That's another way to count.

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use the beads, you absolutely must:
1) not use string. use fishing line instead. The beads slide much easier over the plastic line than string fibers.
2) make sure its pulled tight so there's zero slack in the line.

That's pretty much it!

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry guys, the hanging part is the part i dont understand. if i tack each side up they will hang down in an arch. how do you move the beads without them all falling down to the lowest point of the arch.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
sorry guys, the hanging part is the part i dont understand. if i tack each side up they will hang down in an arch. how do you move the beads without them all falling down to the lowest point of the arch.

They won't hang in an arc , the hanging kit is constructed with adjustable type ends where you can set it up to length you want and attatch the wire on each end and it holds tight. You have to set the wire to the desired length first so that there will be little slack. The kits only come with like 10 ft. wire or something , usually not long enough , hardware store has plenty of cable if not long enough.

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ant812 said:

I use one piece of wire. Buy three eye bolts and two turn buckles from the hardware store. The eyebolts at either end and in the middle serve as a standoff from the ceiling (or whatever) and the turnbuckles allow you to tighten as needed. The wire does not need to go through the center eye bolt. The center eye bolt can be opened up and simply attached to the center bead. That way it is a continuous wire from end to end.

When attaching the wiring to the turnbuckle simply wrap and tie off reasonably tightly. Use the two turnbuckles to adjust the wire as needed.

I learned to set scoring beads like this in the 1950s and have never had it fail.

Foot counters are "OK" but it would not be a "real" table without the beads.

PS, you only need one turnbuckle. Two just make it symetrical.

Last edited:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks guys i understand now. i guess all i have to order is the beads and take a trip to the hardware store. i have plenty off fishing line up to 200 lb test. ill try that out and see how it is and change it if i need. i also have some fishing cable, that would be another option.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
thanks guys i understand now. i guess all i have to order is the beads and take a trip to the hardware store. i have plenty off fishing line up to 200 lb test. ill try that out and see how it is and change it if i need. i also have some fishing cable, that would be another option.

That will work.

jdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is probably a dumb question from a novice, but how do you keep count above 50 using the beads?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
jdr said:
This is probably a dumb question from a novice, but how do you keep count above 50 using the beads?

There is no such thing as a dumb question when you dont know the answer , when you get to 50 the beads are all pushed back to the other end again and the #1 bead is now #51.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of half of the string. If you are playing to 200 set a space between the last four beads on the left in the picture and the rest of the beads. These are the counters for each set of 50. Proceed as indicated by selftaut. BTW, I use copper wire. Works best for me and doesn't tarnish -- to date.

Attachments

• Beads 001.jpg
    Beads 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
My take

jdr said:
Typically 2 sets of blacks and 2 sets of white 50's are used to get to 100.
Three sets of 50 to get to 150.
All of the newer sets of beads are only numbered 1-50 and I was unable to find a set of 60-100 so eventually when I get my set I will convert the numbers with paint to get the 60-100

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeW said:
Here is a picture of half of he string
there we go, thats what i was looking for. next question....how do i train my friends not to hit the ceiling with the tip of their chalked up tips?:eek:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
there we go, thats what i was looking for. next question....how do i train my friends not to hit the ceiling with the tip of their chalked up tips?:eek:

You set up a bucket , on the bucket you write "A$$hole Bucket" , evry chalk mark on the cieling has to throw $1 in the A$$hole Bucket , can be used for many other things as well , drinking the last beer etc...etc...:)

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you could buy 8" eye bolts and give your friends 3' cue sticks or you could keep all beer in the kitchen. OTOH you could get new friends or put rafters on the ceiling (like I did).

You know, I never thought of it before but it would be easy to add a couple of colored beads after the 50 counter for counting to 200 or so. Nothing I know says that you can't add a few extra beads. Hmm have to think about that.

Last edited:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
selftaut said:
You set up a bucket , on the bucket you write "A$$hole Bucket" , evry chalk mark on the cieling has to throw $1 in the A$$hole Bucket , can be used for many other things as well , drinking the last beer etc...etc...:)
another good idea, i know where you were when God :)confused: am i allowed to mention his name here?) was handing out brains. i have just the bucket for it too.

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeW said:
Well you could buy 8" eye bolts and give your friends 3' cue sticks or you could keep all beer in the kitchen. OTOH you could get new friends or put rafters on the ceiling (like I did).

You know, I never thought of it before but it would be easy to add a couple of colored beads after the 50 counter for counting to 200 or so. Nothing I know says that you can't add a few extra beads. Hmm have to think about that.
i am going to look into getting them as low as possible but the table is in my living room with 8' ceilings so i cant imagine they be more than a few inches from it. those things look pretty big, would 100 fit across the top of an 8' table or would i be hanging them all around the room? if i have to go with 50, i will figure something out to mark 50, 100, etc...

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Ever seen smth like that one? ;) Though I doubt it is suitable for straight pool or any race to over 13.

Attachments

• rnr-count.jpg
    rnr-count.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 384

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The beads are 1.5" diameter. the beads with tabs are 3" in (or so). The length, with no space is 60" for the tradiational set. When the extra space is added for the turnbuckles and to move the beads around you need about 7 - 8' of space. I think that another five or so beads will be added to my setup to make it easier to count games that go to 250.

I suppose that if they were low enough you could move them with your hand but that just wouldn't seem right to me.

I have not seen the setup described by Vahmurka. However, I have seen wiffle balls used by glofers strung over tables for 9-Ball matches. If I remember right some of the balls were white and some were day-glo orange. Seemed like a cheap seat kinda thing but it also worked well for spectators to easily read the count.

Last edited: