Kamui chalk

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to order some. Can someone tell me the difference in the numbers such as .98 and 1.21? As long as I am posting, any opinions of the chalk?

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Save your money - not worth it. Most pool halls carry chalk at no extra cost, and there has been no proof that Kamui provides better results in any regard, except longevity. If you are buying it for that purpose, then I would say it's a good buy. For other reasons, no.

It's unfortunate that we automatically believe something is better because it is more expensive. Truth is, your game will improve with practice, not chalk.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Save your money - not worth it. Most pool halls carry chalk at no extra cost, and there has been no proof that Kamui provides better results in any regard, except longevity. If you are buying it for that purpose, then I would say it's a good buy. For other reasons, no.

It's unfortunate that we automatically believe something is better because it is more expensive. Truth is, your game will improve with practice, not chalk.

I respect your opinion but have you used it? It does not have to be a 1000% better to be worth it. If it is only 10% better then I would want it. I don't like giving up anything if I don't have to. I want every edge, the cost is meaningless.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
I respect your opinion but have you used it? It does not have to be a 1000% better to be worth it. If it is only 10% better then I would want it. I don't like giving up anything if I don't have to. I want every edge, the cost is meaningless.

Yes I've used it. A 10% improvement for 10 times the cost is just not right. You aren't just paying for the chalk when you pay $30 per cube - you are paying for the image, for the confidence, and the false sense of superiority.

If I chalked up 10 cue tips, some with Kamui and some with Master, and you had to guess which were which, I guarantee you would lose most of the time.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The .98 stays on the tip longer and will last a lot longer according to the cue maker and repair man ( Alex Brick) at JOB's. It's what I like but I have not used the newer version.

One piece lasted over 1 year and I play 5 nights /week. It's worth the 75 cent it costs per week because it is just better. Some people can't afford it. lol

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The .98 is softer and more clingy, feels almost like lipstick going on (not saying i put lipstick on, but you get my point). It makes more marks on the cue ball but keeps a layer on the tip for a long time. I find myself cleaning the cue ball a lot more but do like the coverage the 0.98 provides.

The 1.21 feels like Blue Diamond chalk to me. More of a traditional style chalk with just a bit more coverage.

I don't think using these chalks is going to change the physical contact point on a cue ball where you miscue but I suppose if you are right on the edge of that line, using a lot of spin, you might have a better chance at avoiding a miscue. The only time I am looking to use that much spin to get back in position is when I screw up, so I just use Blue Diamond chalk and remind myself not to screw up. :)

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
I too would bet that most of the people that ***** about it haven't even tried it. Many just assume it's some kind of marketing gimmick designed to create sales and that's about it. However it was worth 20 bucks for me to try it and I like it. It is expensive but I'm like you "who cares"? 25 bucks is barely one hand of blackjack. No, i don't use it all the time, mostly because chalk is looked at like community property in a lot of places I play and I get tired of having to try and keep up with it. I say get some and try it for your self. At least then you'll have an educated 1st hand opinion.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the .98 the best, i baked mine in my car for a week, then it was REAL good. I let it sit on the dash in the sun 100+ degrees. It seemed to make it last longer. Its worth the $, if ya gotta sweat the price of chalk-take up bird watching, its cheaper.....

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is funnnnny

thx, i just woke up from a 3 hour nap, and decided to talk a little trash-all in good fun. no knock meant at all.

if its not worth it for some thats cool, for me its worth it(not cause i can afford it) I believe in it, if i was "on the Shorts" as they used to say, i'd still use it cause it lsts and works. I use it when i'm in big actipm $500/game and above, i dont use it everyday anymore. I have both types in my case at all times. but thats me. I can't spend my $$$ on some things, like cloths, it grinds my ass to pay big $$$ for cloths, where as most people like to buy cloths. So I dress like a bum, but wear a nice watch and drive a nice car-that over shadows the 5 year old $30 shoes most of the time.

so were all different, aint knocking anyone, its up to them what they want to use their $$ on. When I was bust, i still ate in fancy joints once every 1,2,3 months. Cause good food is worth the $$$, I know guys with lots more than me who won't go in and fire it up at a good joint. its all a matter of preference.

best
eric

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member

Well I can put it this way. I have tried it and and now use Predator chalk. A friend of mine has it as well, it sits in his case, and he has began using Predator chalk as well.

But opinions are like you know..... Everyone has one. And if someone is set to buy in their mind, a thread really want change it much.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a box of kamoui sneaky chalk, the wrapper says master . It looks just like reg house chalk. But it the real deal. The guy that sold it to me said it retails for 32 dollars a cube. Was his I bought a whole box He gave me a deal for 200 dollars. I would say my game is about 20 percent better. Its worth it. Imo of course

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I began to try different brands of chalk, ,anything to improve my game, right? Anyways, I ordered some of the NIR superprofessional, and I got some Blue Diamond, then I saw a blurb for "New" Balabushka, and when Predator Chalk came out I had to try that. Between all this I got a hold of some Russian Magic Chalk, a couple of cakes or Round Chalk from Asia (the shape was really neat, by the way), and some of the old Balabushka Chalk, and something called Super Tournament Chalk. All this while I continued to compare them to Masters - Flag and Pre-Flag, Silver Cup (many different colors), Brunswick Chalk, Triangle Chalk, Pioneer Chalk, and just to be fair some Sportcraft Chalk from Walmart. Although I had swore off it forever, I finally broke down a month or two ago and got some of the $30 Chalk - Both Formulas. Out of all that the conclusion I came to with money not being an issue and all things being even was that the Kamui 1.21 worked best for me. It was smooth and applied well and stayed on the tip with not much mess... on the balls, but it got all over my hands. The 0.98 just had a different feel to it. It played well, worked like chalk should (I guess) but seemed almost thick and gooey, maybe gummy. Don't get me wrong, it worked out really well, it just felt different, like it almost changed a medium tip to a soft tip, it was really kind of strange. Magic Chalk, well, I just didn't understand the hype. I really didn't see any difference between that and Masters. It was pretty good I guess, but nothing special - if chalk can be special. The Predator I liked but it always seemed "dusty" and messy, The Blue Diamond I liked and had no problem with it, the 1.21 just performed a little better IMO. The NIR SuperProfessional was very similar to the Predator and just as dusty, but smaller in size. The New Balabushka though was my favorite, it felt real close to and performed, to me, very much like the 1.21. Save for one (not the Sportcraft), all the rest were pretty much chalk and used correctly they did what chalk should do. The one to me though that was the highest value for the money was the Brunswick. If you were to place these different chalks on stair steps, the Kamui would be at the top a step or two above New Balabushka, Blue Diamond, NIR, and Predator, not quite a full step below, maybe on the same step I'd place the Brunswick, and all the rest at least a step or two below there. For as much as I like the 1.21 and the 0.98, the $30 price tag is just a little steep considering that I like a couple of the other chalks as well as I do. I'll certainly finish out the the cubes of Kamui that I have, but when they're done I'll be sticking to the Balabushka (new), and the Brunswick.
Of course, this is just my opinion. If you're in a different climate or even use a different tip or cue than me your opinion is likely to vary. This is just what works for me.

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a pre-shot routine of chalking before each shot, the 1.21 will probably work for you better. However, I think you'll really see the benefit more with the .98. Personally, I love the .98 and not having to chalk between every shot.

Yes, it is expensive. However, with most of us spending a lot of money on cues, tips, etc., what's $30? I shoot all the time and am still on a cube from a year ago. It's like buying a Ferrari and only putting on generic General tires on it. What hits the road makes the car perform. The chalk that hits the cue is what will help make it perform.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
The .98 stays on the tip longer and will last a lot longer according to the cue maker and repair man ( Alex Brick) at JOB's. It's what I like but I have not used the newer version.

One piece lasted over 1 year and I play 5 nights /week. It's worth the 75 cent it costs per week because it is just better. Some people can't afford it. lol

Couldn't have said it any better myself, but to each his own! Assuming your talking about Masters and the like, why not support a company that is actively involved in trying to get this sport/game out of the gutter instead of just worrying about how many cubes they can sell to pool halls and homeowners?
Just a thought...

I like the 98...
Clint

Last edited:

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member
Yes I've used it. A 10% improvement for 10 times the cost is just not right. You aren't just paying for the chalk when you pay $30 per cube - you are paying for the image, for the confidence, and the false sense of superiority.

If I chalked up 10 cue tips, some with Kamui and some with Master, and you had to guess which were which, I guarantee you would lose most of the time.

I disagree about being able to tell the difference... all you have to do is touch the tip and you can tell right away.

Kamui chalk takes a long time to wipe off the tip. Way more so than masters.

But it isn't for everyone. I'm not saying that all players will find value in the chalk-> it's personal preference.

Dudley

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0.98 chalk

I am going to order some. Can someone tell me the difference in the numbers such as .98 and 1.21? As long as I am posting, any opinions of the chalk?

I like it so much, I do not like using anything else.My cube has lasted more than 2 years, it is getting low now though.
I have not yet tried the 1.21, but have tried most chalks that are on the market.

I have not yet met anyone who did not like the way the chalk played with their setup.
Certainly got some reactions when price is mentioned.
Kamui have come up with a great formula with the chalk.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i never gave any of that a thought, i concentrate on pool when i use chalk

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

If you main game is 10-ball and you get a 10pecent improvment from this chalk.. I will buy this shit to play a ball better even if it's 50 bucks a piece.

That being said. I dont like the chalk myself. I have used it and didnt care for it... You cant really call it chalk even... more like a paste or wax or something.