Fun and Challenging Practice Drill - The Double L Drill

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing I didn't invent this drill, but I sure am having fun attempting it while taking a much needed break from competition, as I'd been feeling burned out. Most are familiar with the L drill - placing a ball on the foot spot, then 7 balls evenly spaced to the center of the foot end rail and 7 more balls evenly spaced from the foot spot to either side rail, forming an L. Then at the other end of the table, do the same thing with another set of 15 balls, with the balls going to the same side rail as on the other side of the table.

Rules - You can start with placing the cue ball anywhere you'd like and start with pocketing any of the 15 balls you choose at either end. All balls must be pocketed in the corner pocket inside the L. You must pocket a ball every shot, and alternate every shot from making a ball on one end of the table to then making a ball on the other end of the table - and continue to alternate every shot from one end of the table to the other end.

If you miss, you replace the balls and start over. If the cue ball runs in to any other ball, you replace the balls and start over. The goal - to pocket all 30 balls without a miss. I've been attempting this drill on our 10 foot table, but I'm guessing it would be still be challenging on a 7, 8, or 9-foot table. The best I've done in 5 or 6 two hour sessions over the last few weeks is 27 once and 26 twice. Of course you'll need 2 full sets of balls to attempt this drill either at home or at the poolroom.

For a pool lover, this drill is very challenging and very addicting. I usually shoot 14.1 when practicing by myself, but currently I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to successfully complete this drill far more. I can only hope it has to be helping my game - particularly 1 or 2 rail cue ball speed control when applying high or low outside spin and on draw shots.

Last edited: