14.1 league owners

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to start a straight pool league-finally! Have you found an optimal player number whether it be 10,12,14,etc.? If we get to 20, i'm thinking about 2 divisions. Any input is welcomed...thanks.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a league with 12 people. We play 2 matches each night. We allow for 2 hours per match.

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the number i was looking for, but i may have more interested players than expected. I hope that's the case, good problem to have.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
We're in our 9th year with ours and run a round robin format that consistently has 20-25 players. For us, it takes several months because each player plays every other player in the league. It's great that you have as much interest as you do. I'd sign up as many players as possible, and adjust the format if needed. I'd be happy to discuss anything that might help you out. Good luck with the league!

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to start a straight pool league-finally! Have you found an optimal player number whether it be 10,12,14,etc.? If we get to 20, i'm thinking about 2 divisions. Any input is welcomed...thanks.
Over the years we have concluded that the optimal number of players for us seems to be 8. That way we play a double round robin (14 weeks) and 1 position round in the middle of the "season". If we have 12 - 16 players we usually split them up into 2 divisions based on ability. Players seem to like the double round robin because if they get beat the first time...they can get their revenge the second time they meet later in the season. It also makes for a balanced schedule.

Beast of luck to you.

-Dennis

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years we have concluded that the optimal number of players for us seems to be 8. That way we play a double round robin (14 weeks) and 1 position round in the middle of the "season". If we have 12 - 16 players we usually split them up into 2 divisions based on ability. Players seem to like the double round robin because if they get beat the first time...they can get their revenge the second time they meet later in the season. It also makes for a balanced schedule.

Beast of luck to you.

-Dennis

So do you play one game a week? Also, i was thinking of starting at 75 points and adjusting by +5 for a win and-5 for loss. I do like the round robin format.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do you play one game a week? Also, i was thinking of starting at 75 points and adjusting by +5 for a win and-5 for loss. I do like the round robin format.

We play one game a week, our "season" lasts 15 weeks. We play up to 125 or 150 points, depending on the skill level of the division...but in the future we may standardize to 125 points for everyone.

We adjust "player ratings" by 0, 1, 2 3 or 4 depending on the win/loss differential.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league I play in has 18-22 players. Everyone plays everyone once two games on a Monday night. So a season lasts 18-22 weeks. It's handicapped so the games are usually close. You play up to your handicap - lose two and your handicap goes down 5, win two it goes up 5. I think it's excellent format since I'm pretty mediocre but always have a chance if I'm playing good, it's uncanny how close the matches are with the handicapping. The handicaps are pro-rated down to 150 balls so the matches don't go too long, mine are typically < 2 hours each so I'm done in 4 hours and back home in time to get to work the next morning. Also, there's a floor of 50 balls on the lowest handicap.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this might be helpful info to Pocketwolf, too. I'm curious how all of the leagues charge for the matches. Does everyone pay regular table time, or is there a set green fee for each match, or something else? In our league, $7.95 gets you dinner and a match, or $5.00 for the match without the dinner. The games (125) frequently take 2.5-3 hours so it's a good value. We set it up that way 10 years ago to promote 14.1 in our area and have never changed it.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you might want to try the following:

each player for the first three weeks plays three different players each week to 15 innings each. Count the total balls per innings not including innings with only a safe or innings with only a foul. This will establish the "handicap" for each of the players. In the matches from this point forward the number of balls given to the lesser player is 90% of the difference. Player "A" has a handicap of 100 player "B" has a handicap of 60. The difference is 40 balls. 40 * .90 = 36.
Player "A" plays to his handicap of 100.
Player "B" starts with 36 balls on the wire and also plays to 100.
Innings from this point forward do not count during a game if there is only a foul or only a safe played. At the end of the evening you count the number of balls made and divide them by the number of innings where no safe or foul only was played. This gives you a number of balls per inning. Multiply the number of balls per inning by 15. This is your new handicap for the next week. With the caveat no one's handicap changes by more than 5 balls per week.
That is how we currently handicap our league.
In the past we have used the average of the previous 6 weeks.
in the past we have used the cumulative average since you joined the league.
In the past we have used the cumulative average for the league session.

I prefer the average of the past six weeks, this always seemed to be the most fair for the favorite and the underdog.

I will be more than happy to discuss this with anyone who has an interest; shoot me a PM.

Andy