Need help changing radial shaft thread to Mezz Wavvy thread joint

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all , as the title says.

I'm interested in buying a couple of predator shafts in radial joint and converting them into wavvy shaft to fit my mezz cue butt in wavvy joint.

However , mezz wavvy joint is a rarely used joint by cuemakers in the states apart from some who does them at special request such as ( eddie cohen ) .

Therefore , im looking for a cuemaker or repairsmith who can change my predator shaft radial thread to a wavvy thread.

Anyone who has prior experience in converting to a radial thread, please share or pm me .

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all , as the title says.

I'm interested in buying a couple of predator shafts in radial joint and converting them into wavvy shaft to fit my mezz cue butt in wavvy joint.

However , mezz wavvy joint is a rarely used joint by cuemakers in the states apart from some who does them at special request such as ( eddie cohen ) .

Therefore , im looking for a cuemaker or repairsmith who can change my predator shaft radial thread to a wavvy thread.

Anyone who has prior experience in converting to a radial thread, please share or pm me .
Just curious, I assume you've already tried a Mezz EXPro shaft or a Mezz WX900 shaft with a wavy joint, and didn't like it as much as your Predator shafts? What Mezz wavy shaft are you playing with now with your Mezz wavy joint butt that you don't like as much as your Predator shafts?

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, I assume you've already tried a Mezz EXPro shaft or a Mezz WX900 shaft with a wavy joint, and didn't like it as much as your Predator shafts? What Mezz wavy shaft are you playing with now with your Mezz wavy joint butt that you don't like as much as your Predator shafts?

Hi Chris , i think its pretty obvious you can tell i am a big fan of the quality of Mezz 's product.
I used to play with the hybrid pro2 shaft for a very very long time on my Keith josey anf olney custom cue and i switched to a full mezz cue with the hp2 shaft.
Absolutely love it especially the power mezz shaft delivers never fails to disappoint me.
I played with all mezz shafts for a short period of time from the early days solid maple shaft ( softer hit ) to the older Wd700's to the newer Wx700 to hp2 and expro shaft.
However as my game grew, i just feel that it is way toopowerful and hard to control the cue ball on modern tables which play super fast aided by super fast cloth.

Thus , i tried a predator 314-2nd gen shaft and have never look backed. I just seem to keep improving n playing better with it.
However , i do not like the other predator shafts , 314-3 , vantage nor the Z series.

To answer ur question , my current playing cue for 2 years has been a beat-up super old Ec7 rosewood series with a united joint and a 5-16/14 pred 314-2 shaft.
Just love the way it plays , not overly stiff but control the cur ball way easier.

I just acquired a discontinued old Cj13 - southwest lookalike mezz wavvy joint butt not too long ago and im planning to buy a revo 12.9mm radial butt to fit it so im looking for some help !
Thanks

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just acquired a discontinued old Cj13 - southwest lookalike mezz wavvy joint butt not too long ago and im planning to buy a revo 12.9mm radial butt to fit it so im looking for some help !
Thanks
Opinion only - As I am not a tech, just someone that enjoying a lathe and experimenting.

The best I can determine is that the Wavvy joint is 3/8" x 9 threads per inch.
The Radial is 3/8" x 8 thread per inch
The (Predator) Uni-Loc radial is not the same as a traditional 3/8x8 radial.
The Revo radial thread is Uni-loc radial cut into phenolic (not a brass insert).
The "right way" is to plug and retap; however, re-tapping such a close thread/diameter could be catchy.
I took this photo of a Uni-Loc Radial (TOP) and Standard Radial (BOTTOM).

You are looking to go from 8 to 9 threads per inch.
I recommend starting with a Revo Uni-Loc joint, it has a brass insert and a pilot and 75% of the insert is not threaded.
The pilot is easily machined off and the insert is an easy to drill and tap...the challenge is finding someone with a Wavvy tap.

I know for a fact this would work, I have converted 8 Revo Uni-Loc shafts to Uni-Loc Radial and several more to 3/8x10 and 5/16x14

Attachments

• Taps.jpg
    Taps.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 392
Last edited: