Fix threads, or replace the pin?

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Joss a few months ago. My daily SS360 shaft which fits fine on my Schon and other 5/16-14s, was difficult to thread on to this Joss. Not bad, about as snug as a United joint, I guess. But that's an older shaft, I bought it used, so I expect any clearancing / wearing-in was already done before I ever got it.

Just today I received a new SS360. It threads fine onto other cues, but not the Joss. It will go all the way, but it's pretty tight. I don't want to risk loosening the insert or the pin by too much force.

I've read here that some thread fixing on pins can be done, depending on the situation.

The cue at the top is the Joss.
The pin thread face angles look okay, but it's hard to tell for sure, because the leading few threads are flattened.

If these threads are just too questionable, if this isn't a candidate for (careful) thread restoring, I'll just get the pin replaced.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Threads1.jpg
    Threads1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Files1.jpg
    Files1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 315

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Joss a few months ago. My daily SS360 shaft which fits fine on my Schon and other 5/16-14s, was difficult to thread on to this Joss. Not bad, about as snug as a United joint, I guess. But that's an older shaft, I bought it used, so I expect any clearancing / wearing-in was already done before I ever got it.

Just today I received a new SS360. It threads fine onto other cues, but not the Joss. It will go all the way, but it's pretty tight. I don't want to risk loosening the insert or the pin by too much force.

I've read here that some thread fixing on pins can be done, depending on the situation.

The cue at the top is the Joss.
The pin thread face angles look okay, but it's hard to tell for sure, because the leading few threads are flattened.

If these threads are just too questionable, if this isn't a candidate for (careful) thread restoring, I'll just get the pin replaced.

Thanks for any advice.

Measuring the screw is always the best place to start but the real difference between the 2 screws in your picture is a supplier change by Joss. The top one has less of a bull nose than the older version. It's also about .002 larger.
Example:

IMG_20200314_030810.jpg

Added note
Does the old shaft have a brass insert and does the new shaft have a phenolic insert? Phenolic can be a tighter fit based on the material.

Last edited:

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.
The Joss pin is indeed about .312". The lower pin in my photo is Schon, and it's about .305".
Both of the shaft joint inserts are brass.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez, please disregard. :embarrassed2:
A little soap on the threads did wonders.

Until yesterday, I hadn't kept bar soap around the house, only liquids. Current events forced me to buy some.

Thanks Michael for your help.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez, please disregard. :embarrassed2:
A little soap on the threads did wonders.

Until yesterday, I hadn't kept bar soap around the house, only liquids. Current events forced me to buy some.

Thanks Michael for your help.

Your welcome.
Make sure none of that soap gets on the faces of the joints. It will attracked dust, turning it to dirt that will cock your shaft to one side.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pass a 5/16 tap in the smaller shaft, I don't know

It all comes down to what someone considers a proper fit. In this case of the 5/16x14 which just might be the most variable sized screw there is in this Industry. Depending on the cue manufacturer, it will vary from .298x14 to a full .312x14. That's a huge variance.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all comes down to what someone considers a proper fit. In this case of the 5/16x14 which just might be the most variable sized screw there is in this Industry. Depending on the cue manufacturer, it will vary from .298x14 to a full .312x14. That's a huge variance.

It's a piloted joint, don't need a super fit on threads, the tap will bring it to .313