magic rack...phenomenal results

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an apa 6 and have lamented " complained " lol on here a few times about my lousy 9 ball break. I do realize part of it is my fault and part of it is that you just cant get a perfect rack with a plastic rack on some bar tables.

Well tonight during a match where my opponent was having major troubles getting a tight rack .....mainly the one ball kept rolling of he asked if I cared if he used a magic rack. I have never used one period let alone in league and said sure .

I broke and ran all the way down ti the 8 and just as I was pulling the trigger my mind said ....dang...you on a break and run. Sure enough I dogged an easy 8. My opponent missed and I ran out. Next rack I didn't let my mind interfere and put up a break and run. next rack I was well on my way to a break and run but stopped the rack when I made 6 balls reaching my required 46 points.

I definitely had a 2 pack in the bag except for flubbing the 8 the first rack due to lack if focus and was on my way to one in the 3rd rack.

Most of my breaks are dry breaks and my opponent darn near runs the table...some I squat the cue ball and a ball come along and knocks it in the side pocket and on the rare occasion I make a ball I am usually hooked on the next one.

I have thought for quite some time I could probably be a 7 if it was not for my break...then tonight could have been just a fluke .:grin-square:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should not be trying to rank your ability by what your APA rating is, or link your APA rating to your ability.

Easy test of ability is playing the ghost in 9 ball. For an APA 6 that would be roughly a C+ or maybe B-. Break a 6 ball rack and see how you do vs the ghost in a race to 10 over several tries. If you can beat the 6 ball ghost then you are a B-, if you can do a 7 ball ghost you would be a B+. I would do this on a normal setup 9 footer, not a 7 footer or a 9 footer with large pockets. That usually exaggerates ability.